[SOLVED] Computer Freezes While Playing Fortnite

alixthegreat

Reputable
Jun 26, 2020
Okay so I recently upgraded a few parts of my computer in order to play Fortnite and a few other games. When playing Fortnite, no matter what I do it just freezes at random points. The freezes vary, some of them stop my computer completely and i am forced to power it off from the button or some I am able to open task manager and close the game. I am also able to move in game some times, for example I can turn around but can't move and nothing else moves other than the sky. I would really like to get my Fortnite to work on my computer as I have a 144hz display meaning that ps4 would be somewhat useless. On that note, I have no issues with frames, consistent 100+ frames and I don't experience any lag. It doesn't have to be in game either, sometimes if I leave my game on while I go to get a drink for example, when I come back it may have frozen and I am unable to do anything other than power it off.

Specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3600
GPU - Nvidia Geforce 1050 ti
RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 MHz
HDD - Toshiba PC P300

I don't know what is causing it to freeze and i will answer any questions as i would really like to resolve this issue, thank you.

Solution
Okay so I recently upgraded a few parts of my computer in order to play Fortnite and a few other games. When playing Fortnite, no matter what I do it just freezes at random points. The freezes vary, some of them stop my computer completely and i am forced to power it off from the button or some I am able to open task manager and close the game. I am also able to move in game some times, for example I can turn around but can't move and nothing else moves other than the sky. I would really like to get my Fortnite to work on my computer as I have a 144hz display meaning that ps4 would be somewhat useless. On that note, I have no issues with frames, consistent 100+ frames and I don't experience any lag. It doesn't have to be in game...
Okay so I recently upgraded a few parts of my computer in order to play Fortnite and a few other games. When playing Fortnite, no matter what I do it just freezes at random points. The freezes vary, some of them stop my computer completely and i am forced to power it off from the button or some I am able to open task manager and close the game. I am also able to move in game some times, for example I can turn around but can't move and nothing else moves other than the sky. I would really like to get my Fortnite to work on my computer as I have a 144hz display meaning that ps4 would be somewhat useless. On that note, I have no issues with frames, consistent 100+ frames and I don't experience any lag. It doesn't have to be in game either, sometimes if I leave my game on while I go to get a drink for example, when I come back it may have frozen and I am unable to do anything other than power it off.

Specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3600
GPU - Nvidia Geforce 1050 ti
RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 MHz
HDD - Toshiba PC P300

I don't know what is causing it to freeze and i will answer any questions as i would really like to resolve this issue, thank you.

Welcome to Toms Hardware @alixthegreat!

First of, your computer is quite unbalanced, your CPU is stronger than your gpu by a lot, your ram speed is quite slow for a 3600 as Ryzen is very hungry for RAM speeds therefore the RAM could be the issue here. I would recommend at least 3000mhz ram speeds. Secondly the 1050ti is quite outdated and it doesn't perform quite well in modern titles, and especially that you are running it with a 144hz monitor, I doubt it would hold up. Therefore try to check the culprit. It is either the 3600 being too powerful or your RAM being slow.

Reactions: alixthegreat
Solution

alixthegreat

Reputable
Jun 26, 2020
Welcome to Toms Hardware @alixthegreat!

First of, your computer is quite unbalanced, your CPU is stronger than your gpu by a lot, your ram speed is quite slow for a 3600 as Ryzen is very hungry for RAM speeds therefore the RAM could be the issue here. I would recommend at least 3000mhz ram speeds. Secondly the 1050ti is quite outdated and it doesn't perform quite well in modern titles, and especially that you are running it with a 144hz monitor, I doubt it would hold up. Therefore try to check the culprit. It is either the 3600 being too powerful or your RAM being slow.

Hello, sorry for the slow reply. As it turns out i do have memory capable of 3200mhz but me being dumb i did not actually enable it and left it at 2133mhz. I have enabled it now and I will update you in a bit if my game crashes. Thank you for your help as it has helped me to realise my memory is not at its maximum speed.

alixthegreat

Reputable
Jun 26, 2020
Slow memory speeds should not cause freezing/crashing. If anything it should be more stable at slower speed. What is the make and model of your PSU?
So my computer was a prebuilt, the power supply doesn't appear to be a known brand. I've found it on amazon if that is any use, and here is the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unbranded-...500+psu&qid=1593350199&sr=8-1&tag=googhydr-21 .

It may be something to do with my hard drive as i used to get an error that said "Unexpected_store_exception" and there were a couple of times it said something about the kernel but i didn't quite catch it. It no longer gets a BSOD but it just crashes.

alixthegreat

Reputable
Jun 26, 2020
wow I didn't know you could buy a PSU for £14.99 lol
you should probably run error checking on the disk drive
Yeah i have tried lots of things with the disk drive such as "sfc /scannow" and there are no errors that come up, i don't really know if i need to replace it or whether it is another part but there are no errors when i scan it. It is quite annoying as the error changes and it isn't always a full restart sometimes it just freezes and other times it is a more extreme black screen.