Computer freezes while playing video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyatt_5

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Hi, obviously I have a problem with my PC. While playing video games, at random times my PC will freeze and make an abrupt noise, and I either have to manually restart it or it restarts itself in about 30 seconds. I have tried many solutions, but nothing seems to work.

PC Specs: http://prntscr.com/cbjac2

Someone please help... I am getting desperate. :(

Solution
I might have found a potential solution, try setting your virtual memory to your ram x 1.5 in MB. I set mine lower out of curiosity and crashed on games I never crashed on before.

Wyatt_5

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

I have tried many things such as: unparking my CPU cores, updating GPU drivers, checked if anything was overheating (nothing is), almost every solution you can try when you look up "Computer freezes/crashes while playing video games."

I have never overclocked.

Yes, my computer only freezes when playing video games. It happens at random times; it could happen 15 minutes into playing a game or 1 hour.

Wyatt_5

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

I will borrow my brother's GPU. I will update when I have tested this.

ricwilli

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Any update on this? I'm having the exact same problem. Have you tried MemTest86? My computer always freezes when I run the test in windows. But, when I run the test off a bootable usb stick (3 hours), there are no errors of memory being bad. I also tried the Windows 10 memory test and it passed. I am at a lost. Please give an update. Thanks

Vomrath

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Im also having the same issue. I swapped gpus problem still persisted. Altough I did use new ram and it seemed to fix it until I played mire graphically intensive games (bf1).

ricwilli

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

Are you able to run MemTest86 in Windows without freezing up?

Vomrath

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016

I'll try when I get home from work. I doubt the ram is the issue (by itself anyway) as its brand new. I guess I could also try different slots for the ram itself. Another thing I changed in my system is the cpu cooler from the default intel to an arctic freezer 13. Maybe from the size of the cooler is creating heat pockets but all my temps in CPUID read less than 50 for motherboard and cpu.

Vomrath

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016

How do I run it in windows, I ran it for a couple of hours off of my usb with no errors. Have you checked for updates for your BIOS because the next step i'm taking is updating it.

ricwilli

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

I can run it in Windows but it freezes up. It only did 6 percent than it froze. Today I reset the BIOS to factory default and was able to go to 151 percent than it froze. The bios is up to date. I'm going to downgrade it. The website has an executable to run in Windows. I'll update when I downgrade the BIOS.

Vomrath

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
I might have found a potential solution, try setting your virtual memory to your ram x 1.5 in MB. I set mine lower out of curiosity and crashed on games I never crashed on before.

Solution
Jun 17, 2018

i have the same problem here and didnt understand the solution please if possible explain more

Vomrath

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016

Here is a tutorial on how to change your virtual memory (for windows 10). https://www.x-plane.com/kb/increasing-virtual-memory-on-windows/

Although changing the virtual memory seemed to help temporarily, the only thing that fixed my problem was replacing my motherboard. Best of luck.

Mar 9, 2018
I found it was applications/services that were starting up with windows, did a clean boot. went into MSCONFIG / services , clicked hide Microsoft services , then disabled all, then task manager/ startup and disabled everything, when you find this works you can go back and turn on a few services /apps at a time and reboot till you find the one(s) it was.

Jan 6, 2019
I had a similar issue to this apart from my pc would only freeze for about 10 to 15 seconds or so whilst playing and then the game would go back to normal although the time between freezes was random, about every one to two minutes. I found that this had nothing to do with my GPU or CPU but my SSD. I had recently upgraded from an HDD to SSD, this issue did not occur on the HDD. I found that in order to fix my issue, all I had to do was download my driver manager. In my case, I have a Kinston SSD so I downloaded the Kingston driver manager and the whole issue was down to me not updating my driver software. As soon as I updated, the whole issue was fixed. Worth a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS