Computer Freezes While Running Intensive Programs and Requires Hard Reset

senorgrimsby

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I have recently upgraded by PC by replacing the motherboard to a BIOSTAR H81MG and processor to quad core i5.
I did a complete fresh install with windows 7 and installed the BIOS from the CD and graphics drivers from the NVIDIA website.

All the installs went okay and the computer was running smoothly. So I downloaded DOTA2 and jumped into a game. I maxed out my graphics settings knowing I would be able to run it. It ran really well and smooth for about 20-30 minutes then it suddenly froze. I couldnt move my mouse or Alt-Tab. Next the game gets the white overlay to say its not responding however I could still hear my Skype conversation for about 5 minutes after DOTA2 crashed. After that it went silent and froze completely, requiring a hard reset.
I thought maybe it was just DOTA2 so I installed borderlands 2 and got about 5 minutes in before the same thing happened. Next I tried Heaven 3D Benchmark again same problem.
My CPU temp while all this happens is around 40*C-50*C and my GPU temp is around 45*C--55*C

I have tried taking out RAM and running with just 1 and then using just the other stick but to no avail.

I really don't know why this is happening as I'm pretty sure everything is connected up correctly and from what I can tell all my drivers are up to date.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance :D

RAM: 6.0 GB DDR3 1333HZ
Motherboard: BIOSTAR H81MG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz (Quad)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2GB)
Graphics Driver: NVIDIA R331.93 (newest as of 28/12/2013)
Power Supply: 600W

senorgrimsby

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Hey thanks for the reply. I tried closing Skype and every other program using my sound driver and then running Borderland 2 again. Sadly it didn't work :( It still crashes after 5 mins.

Or worse if you just went 'default' install on everything, then you may have alot of programs running in the background unnecessarily (liek skype) and you maxed out your 6GB (easy to do really on these new systems with a 'heavy gaming'). Use something like Auslogic Booster to clear out startup items, or even evoke Game Booster to kill off unneeded apps during gaming and see if that stablizes things.

senorgrimsby

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

I realised that I hadn't updated windows 7 and so last night i installed 135 updates. Sadly this didn't help either :'(

senorgrimsby

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

I was curious about this so I ran my game in windowed mode with task manager Performance tab open. I was barley even using half my usable RAM when it crashed :(

Download and run SPECCY. This can provide most specs, as well as current 'idle' temps. Also you should install MSI Afterburner and see what the temps say underload (game playing).

Okay so for the few things next to cover, what Antivirus you use? I would download AVG / Avast! from www.filehippo.com and do a full scan, then do a fullscan with Malwarebytes just to be certain. But otherwise since you did a full clean Windows install, that leads to probably a hardware failure, which means RAM, possibly the CPU, and the GPU.

I do know that your mixed memory is unhealthy, the systems work best with MATCHING pairs of RAM. So I would just get a 2x4GB set and plug those in (very cheap these days) and see if the problems resolve.

senorgrimsby

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

I think the power supply was salvaged from another PC a few years back so I have just treated myself to a new one (Corsair Builder Series CX 750W) which should arrive on Monday.

Both RAM sticks are 1.5V. I think i should get some new RAM a 2x4GB like Tom Tancredi suggested. Do you know anywhere cheap for the UK?

And My windows is now fully up to date I did a couple extra restarts to be sure ;)

senorgrimsby

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

The temps i quoted in my first post are pretty much the same as the ones Speccy are giving me:
CPU: 36*C (Idle) - 55*C (Under load)
GPU: 23*C (Idle) - 54*C (under load)

Is there anything else from Speccy that you think would be helpfull?

And you're right about the RAM. Do you know anywhere cheap in the UK?

senorgrimsby

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hey, I just installed my new power supply (Corsair Builder Series CX 750W) and all seems to be good :D I've all the games that were freezing before and they work fine and none have crashed yet :D
Thanks for your help guys its been nice to speak to people who are actually nice on the internet ;)
Thanks again :D