Computer Freezes While Watching Video on Youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincevdn

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
This is what happened while I was watching a video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjqpAzKUN1w

This problem happens every once in a while, and so far, it only happens while I'm watching a video on Youtube (full screen or not). My computer was built in Feb. 2012, with the following specs:

■Intel Core i7 2600K CPU
■ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard
■2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Cards
■Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
■Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
■Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD
■Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HDD
■Coolermaster Haf X Case
■Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W Power Supply
■Windows 7 64 bit

All drivers, and firmware are up to date.

■Is this more likely to be a hardware issue or software issue?
■If it's a hardware issue, is it more likely to be a defect in the graphic card(s) or the motherboard?

Thanks.

Do you have any stability problems aside from youtube videos? Does your system freeze or artifact when playing games? If this is just youtube it's possible that you are having flash issues. Try uninstalling and reinstalling flash. You can try disabling SLI or removing one of your video cards, that may be an issue. Finally, try rolling back to an earlier driver revision, it could be the latest nvidia drivers don't interact with flash video properly.

Vincevdn

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
There are no other stability problems. Game doesn't freeze or artifact. Not yet anyway. Prime95 ran for 12 hours without errors. FurMark ran for 20 minutes without artifacts. It's hard to reproduce this problem because it doesn't always happen. I will try your suggestions.

hallvard13

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I have the same problem, it have happend to me 4-5 times now. what i notice is the simlarity on our computers is the graphics card (I have 1 Gainward GeForce 560 TI Physx) and it started happening after the latest driver update to the nividia drivers. I think maybe the problems are there.

Dinoslawski

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Same happens to me. I also have GF GTX 560 Ti. No problems what so ever when playing BF3 for many hours on end. But damn YT makes my PC freeze with artifacts on screen.

Same happened while I was browsing Steam - could be it uses something Flashy :)

monsta

Splendid
Go into your Nvidia control panel and change your power management mode to Prefer maximum performance, some people have trouble with freezing etc when browsing or on youtube when it is set to adaptive...hope this works for you.

McKamzee

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Same problem for me...AMD Radeon R7 260X...no clue whatsoever about the fucking problem..
BF4 on highest res..play for hours..no problems at all !!
watch a video on youtube/vlc player..random "Black Screens of Deaths"

XLifted

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2013
Would like to resurrect this thread for anyone having the same issue. I was GOING INSANE...trying to figure it out.

Cause: Google Chrome....install Opera browser....NO ISSUES. I would test it playing this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xaO1rGEQ50

It locked up within first 10 seconds in Chrome, NO MATTER how many times I uninstalled Adobe Flash or reinstalled Chrome or flash.

Before blaming the hardware install Opera and run it for 1-2 days playing Youtube. BAM!

GOD BLESS...OMG...I was tweaking BIOS for weeks now...when the reason was the damn browser

jeyd02

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

i will actually try this, and if this is true. YOU WOULD BE saving me MONTH and tries and tries of my system. i have gone about every single possible culprit from hardware to software. i hope that this would work. thanks for the feedback anyways.

Keonyn

Honorable
Nov 3, 2014

Thanks for the post. I had been searching around for awhile looking for solutions and all I ever found was to shut off hardware acceleration in Flash. Of course, since in Chrome it uses the HTML5 viewer and not Flash that answer obviously had no value. I've tried the add-on you posted and so far it is working, hopefully it stays that way.

MRyuki1991

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I'm having the same issue, I have installed youtube disable, I will report if it works or not. one day later it crashed while youtube was idle not to sure what to do at this stage.

I've been having this problem as well on a i7 950, 7970, 8GB RAM sys. I too thought sure HTML 5 was the problem, because I was experimenting with best way to make and watch vids for YouTube with no blur and switched to the HTML 5 player.

Why the hell would you have to reinstall Chrome though just to switch back to the Adobe Flash player when you can easily switch to the HTML 5 player within the browser?

Christopher Barron

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
I'm crossing my fingers and saying my prayers at this point. I went through so many different troubleshooting things over the last month or two its driving me nuts!!! :??:
Started with this build
Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 - Youtube and games freezing
AMD FX-6350 - running the stock Turbo @ 4.2 GHz (Stock cooling)
700 Watt Cheap PSU (Coolmax brand [only 80 plus])
8 GB Patriot Viper 3 Ram @ 1866MHz
Diamond - HD 5450 (Bottom of the barrel, don't game really (starting to lately tho))
1 TB Western Digital- Black 7200 rpm
60 GB Patriot Blaze SSD as a boot drive for Windows 8.1
in a Cheap Enermax Case
First I noticed a problem with a sound from the cheap PSU so I returned it to grab a refurbished
Corsair AX-650 (Modular nd way better) - thought I was in the clear then it happened again
Now since then, I've upgraded the graphics card to a
EVGA GTX 750 Ti (better but still not that good for 2015) - also thought I was in the clear, but nope)
Also switched out RAM (after a bunch of memtest(x86) passes) to
8 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 1866 MHz
Added a
Samsung 850 Evo 120GB SSD
Also swapped out the motherboard and CPU with
Intel Core i5 4690K
Asus Z97-AR Mobo
I thought "Maybe it's because I was being cheap and went with AMD instead of Intel"
Although it only happened once with the Intel setup in the 2 weeks I had it, it actually happened again.
Then went back to my Asus Sabertooth 990fx and AMD 6350
and this time added a Corsair H100i for cooling and some NanoDiamond thermal compound.
This problem has happened like 4 times today freezing.
I've disabled HTML5 player in Youtube
I'm sorta confused.
Also, Part of me really wanted the upgrades so it just helped in motivating me to actually return all these items and decide to troubleshoot this way. I know this is no way to troubleshoot. lol
NO Artifacts
Freezes image on screen
Also seem to freeze the sound if there is any sound at all it makes a terrible sound while freezing
This Freeze requires a hard shutdown and restart with the power button, sometimes even unplugging the power cord because of some sort of feature that wants a complete reset and restart.
It's driving me nuts!!

Bdawson1234

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Had a very similar issue with my AMD build. GPU is AMD Radeon R7 360
Clicking on a U-Tube video caused instant page crash. I had been tweaking the Chrome://flags, so it was easy to find the one causing the problem. Via Process of elimination the culprit was "GPU rasterization". Setting to disabled fixed the issue. The default setting for that option just said "default", and I'm too lazy to look up weather or not it may be active in some cases by default.

In browser address bar type "Chrome://flags", and press enter, or go or whatever. Scroll down to "GPU Rasterization" and select "disable" from the drop down box.

Status
Not open for further replies.