Computer freezes with loud buzzing sound from speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiao101207

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hello fellow members of Tom's Hardware!

Sorry if this is it the wrong section, but I have read so many other posts about this problem, but none have solved my problem. When I play games like BFBC2, Batlefield Play4Free, even FSX, my computer just freezes with no BSOD, no error messages, just the last frame on the screen with a very loud, annoying buzzing sound. It's getting very annoying and happens very commonly, but only in game. I have ran memtest86+, no errors on that, purchased better cooling for my CPU, new graphics card, nothing works! :fou: Anyone have answers to why its happening? Anything appreciated! :D I'm getting desperate............

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 870 @ 3.2 GHz
GFX: HIS Radon HD 6870
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
RAM: 2x Corsair XMS 3 8GB DDR3, 2x OCZ Gold 4GB DDR3
SSD: 64GB AData Microcenter Rebranded
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
Cooling: Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler

Solution
That's all I have I am afraid. You may want to consider buying a second hand board that is compatible with your processor. It doesn't really matter what brand. Even a very basic board will do. Then you can run a test set up to see if your various components behave with the second board. If they all go well then you can put the issue down to Motherboard problems. I am as a certain as I can be that it is the board but of course I cant confirm that 100 %
Can you upload the buzz sound onto youtube. I suspect the loud buzz sound is not electrical buzz but actually stutter/repeated loop sound.

That can be caused by a crashed graphics driver trying to recover.

Did you try using another graphics driver? Update if you haven't update for a while and roll back if this happen after driver update.

tiao101207

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I have the latest Catalyst Drivers, 11.9. I have waited around 30 minutes before waiting for the driver to recover, however, it doesn't. The sound is a looping sound coming from the speakers. It has happened with previous drivers, and I don't think it's a hardware error, since I have ran Memtest86+, Prime 95 Stress Tests, 3D Mark, and all that. Did you still want me to record a video of it freezing in game?

tiao101207

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
The older drivers are only compatible with Windows XP/2000, at least anything below v10.0. I have already tried versions 10.0 ~ 11.9. All of them still crash, and I cleaned out all the remaining junk files.

Sounds driver related to me.

Try cleaning out your old driver/s(did you ever have a nvidia driver also?)
and re installing the latest graphics driver. You could also see if there is a beta driver available, or you might try going backward to an older driver.

Another possibility is a weak psu. Gaming adds to the power requirement and if the card gets insufficient power it does strange things. On the surface, your 750w unit is fine, but a psu will fail on occasion. See if you can test with a different psu.

Games will use dx 9, dx11, and whatever. Do you have the current versions of those?

tiao101207

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Yes, I have DX11, this power supply is pretty new, and I have tried it with another power supply, resulting in the same crash and buzzing sound. I have never used nVidia cards before, so I dont have any of those drivers. I haven't seen any AMD Catalyst Beta drivers before, and the latest version is 11.9, so I don't know where else to turn to.

So you ran Memtest86+ one stick at a time using default speed/timings?
Then tested each kit individually in pairs? = since your mixing kits which is never recommended
SSD's have many known issues and need to have firmware updates and maintenance tools run.
Your psu is notoriously poopy!
Could be having a crap!
Known for poor performance and doesn't even supply 600W.
it's ok for about 450W.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/9

tiao101207

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Yes, I have ran Memtest86+ 1 stick at a time at default clocks and settings.
Yes I have tested each kit individually in pairs.
SSD is latest firmware, 3.4.2, I think.
Yes, i know my PSU is crappy as heck. However, it was on sale for very cheap and I didn't have much left in my computer budget, so yeah.

No, I am not suggesting driver 9.11 or 9.12.

It is just that there is a comment on there that tells you to disable powerplay.

Anyway, you can also use MSI Afterburner to disable power play and lock onto your current core/memory frequency.

I am more familiar with Afterburner, but I am not sure how reluctant you are to get another software.

Go to the directory where you have Afterburner installed.

Look for and change "MSIAfterburner.cfg" to "MSIAfterburner.txt"

Add "I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it" without quotation mark to the line "UnofficialOverclockingEULA"

Change "UnofficialOverclockingMode" to 2.

Save and exit.

Change extension back to cfg.

In Afterburner, create a profile with the same core and memory freq as default freq and save it to a slot. Select the profile and apply to have that profile loaded and locked to that freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.