I have just install Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. I bought a
USB2 external harddrive. I realize my Motherboard's built-in USB slots are
not USB2. So I went to Fry's and bought a PCI USB adapter card. I installed
it, meaning I installed the drivers when it said new hardware found. It
asked me to restart the PC so I did. Once the computer turned on and
running, i turned on the external usb2 hard drive and my computer froze. My
house and keyboard froze. What should I do??? I restarted and windows xp
did not load up. I even turned off the hard drive and it still did not load
up windows xp. Once I took out the card it ran beautifully. What should i
do. I even bought another brand of PCI USB 2 adapter and it still did not
work. Anyhow let me know if you guys have any tips.

Ankit Shah

Ankit Shah

The drivers probably need to be installed before the card. You may not be
able to depend on The New Hardware Wizard to install the right drivers.
Check the documentation that came with your card.

"Ankit Shah" <AnkitShah623@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have just install Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. I bought
> USB2 external harddrive. I realize my Motherboard's built-in USB slots are
> not USB2. So I went to Fry's and bought a PCI USB adapter card. I
installed
> it, meaning I installed the drivers when it said new hardware found. It
> asked me to restart the PC so I did. Once the computer turned on and
> running, i turned on the external usb2 hard drive and my computer froze.
My
> house and keyboard froze. What should I do??? I restarted and windows xp
> did not load up. I even turned off the hard drive and it still did not
load
> up windows xp. Once I took out the card it ran beautifully. What should i
> do. I even bought another brand of PCI USB 2 adapter and it still did not
> work. Anyhow let me know if you guys have any tips.
>

> Ankit Shah
>
> Ankit Shah

Already did what you just mention. Did not work.

Ankit Shah