Question Computer Freezing and Crashing Suddenly

Soren_

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Hey all,

I'm not sure what caused this problem, as it seemingly came out of the blue. Maybe something updated without my knowledge? Not sure.

Anyways, for the past 2 weeks, my computer's been spontaneously freezing up and shutting down around 1-2 times a day. It can crash during any activity, intensive or not; I could be 3D rendering complex scenes, or I could just be reading a PDF. When my screen freezes, I usually get a gray or white screen after a few seconds, before the screens go black. The PC's still running, but after a single push of the power button, it turns off immediately. Sometimes, however, the screen stays frozen and I have to hold down the power button for several seconds to get it to power off. I've tried a multitude of things in order to get to the source of the problem, and yet none of them have worked. Since the issue started, I have:

• Updated graphics card drivers, Windows update & SSD firmware
  • Checked temperatures and usage of CPU, GPU & RAM during crashes, nothing abnormal
  • Ran a memory & disk check
  • Optimized the virtual memory
  • Ran the SFC system file checker, a full system virus scan & deleted temp files
  • Checked the event viewer after every crash, no clues. Once the computer freezes, there are no more events until it's restarted

I built this PC a little over 4 years ago, and I've never had this problem until recently. As stated before, I can't think of any changes that could have caused the issue. If needed, here are my PC specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9
Storage Devices:
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" SSD (has windows installed)
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Twin Frozr V
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX

If anyone has any solutions, I would greatly appreciate your help! :) This problem has caused multiple losses of project work, and I just can't figure out the issue.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2020
Yeah, I'm having a similar issue with no solution working ;(
This shows up in the crash report in Event Viewer.

BugcheckCode278

BugcheckParameter10xffff878f8ab28200

BugcheckParameter20x0

BugcheckParameter30x0

BugcheckParameter40x0

Also, this which I can assume is the cause.

-Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows.
EventID: 65