Computer Freezing and Crashing, Tried Multiple Fixes, Is this a CPU or Motherboard issue?

Mar 19, 2018
So I've been experiencing this issue almost daily for about around two months and I'm at my wit's end trying to find a solution to this problem. My computer will completely freeze, usually while playing games, but sometimes also during casual Internet browsing. During these freezes, I may here a couple quick and soft buzzing sounds (only a split second long each), and the screen will freeze, but the audio will continue, albeit it will continue with a couple quirk and cutting in and out a little bit. Occasionally if it does happen while in a game, it'll be more akin to you standard freeze and crash where the screen freezes accompanied by a loud buzzing sound. Crtl + Alt + Delete doesn't work and I have to manually shut down my computer for a reset. Typically the issues occur during loading screens in games, or within several seconds after closing a game, though it has occasionally happened mid game as well or while not even in any game. Sometimes I can make this issue occur while Alt +Tabbing away from a game as well, which I know is a known bug with Windows 10 Creators update a while ago, but I'm not sure that's related. I've spent days browsing different forum sights for possible solutions, and so far nothing seems to have fixed it. Here are the solutions I've tried so far:

- Cleared out any dust from inside my case.
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the games I would play.
- Clearing game cache.
- Using built in scan and repair functions for the games.
- Lowered in-game graphic settings
- Updated graphic's card drivers will a clean install.
- Rolled back to known stable graphic's card drivers.
- Disabled screen overlays.
- Disabled file protection in Avast Antivirus.
- Disabled non necessary audio drivers.
- Updated GPU BIOS.
- Clean install of Windows 10.
- Tested each RAM stick individually using Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool (Extended) as well as memtest86 for several hours (showed no errors).
- Reseated the GPU and RAM (used alternate slots for the RAM).
- Started using MSI Afterburner with custom fan curve to more accurately monitor and control temps.
- Updates motherboard BIOS.
- Redid the thermal pasting from the CPU to the liquid cooler.
- Change out some chords within the computer.

As you can see I began to doubt my problems where caused by files or drivers or settings and instead began looking into physical, hardware issues. I continue on with these troubleshoots to no avail:

- Tried using only one RAM stick at a time (issue persisted with both).
- Unplugged secondary monitor from computer, problem still persisted.
- RMA-ed my GPU, installed the new one, problem still persisted.
- Got a new power supply unit, with more wattage, problem still persisted.

I'm hoping that the issue is not motherboard or CPU related, but I'm thinking at this point it might just well be unless anyone has any more idea as to what may be causing this issue. My computer is only about 6 months old since I built it, and I never experienced any issues until just a month or two ago. Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x @3.4GHz 8-Core Processor
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 TI 11GB SC2
Motherboard: ASRock AB350M Pro4 ATX AM4
Powersupply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX (now using a 850 watt one, my PC only requires 484)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5'' SSD

I also have plenty of case fans and a Corsair H100i v2 CFM Liquid Cooler for my CPU. I don't think it's an overheating issue as it sometimes happens during non-stressed casual use. Although at the same time I have been able to make the freeze happen during stress tests as well. And even during the heaviest use my temps only get up to 75°C max during very high video settings on a 1440p 144hz monitor. I think it's also worth noting that I have my PC plugged directly to a wall outlet. I have also swapped out some of the cables within the case itself as well. As far as other subtleties that I noticed about the issue, there is that my PC will seem more likely to freeze up during normal use if it has just recently frozen during gaming. When it freezes it will most often just stay like that with the quirky audio continuing. There have been occasions where it's frozen and quickly rebooted itself though during normal, non-gaming use however. A couple of other quirks I've noticed. When I would close a game, say Overwatch, the computer would take several seconds after the application left the screen before I was able to click anything as it was finalizing it's closing, however now I can click on say Chrome immediate after closing the game, and if I do so it seems more likely to freeze than if I manually wait the time after closing the game. Also I don't know if this is relevant but I use Nvidia settings from the Nvidia control panel to Adjust desktop color settings, and after a freeze and manual reboot the color settings get set back to default and I have to open the Nvidia control panel again and click on the already selected button and it "remembers" and switches back to my specific color settings.

Now I have never had a blue screen associated with any of these freezes or crashes, but recently I had my first one in months of this issue happening with the generic IRQL_not_less_or_equal error, whatever that means. Please let me know if there are any other pieces of information that I can provide. I really just want to figure out exactly what the issue truly is and be able to fix it and finally be done with it and have full use of my new PC back. Thanks in advanced for any help. Crossing my fingers on this one.

austinpaiva

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
I would think it's the board, I haven't heard about a lot of problems with the 1700X itself, if you RMA'ed the card and it still doesnt work, AND the memory is seemingly fine, I would go with the board. If you feel like experimenting Get like a cheap A320 board and test it on that (I take no responsibility for you losing $50 if it doesn't work, its your discretion).

Mar 19, 2018

I'm wondering what would cause the board to suddenly produce these errors, and why does it seem to happen more often during map loading screens in a game or when a game is closed? My computer is only about half a year old, and I just started experiencing these issues a couple months ago. I've taken a closer look at my motherboard and I don't notice anything that seems fishy like any bloating capacitors, but I guess the only way to know for sure is to replace it I guess. If anyone else has any input I would still love to here more potential solutions.

awolfe63

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Long shot - but I had a problem with a Corsair liquid cooler that it was not making good contact. I removed and reseated it (as you seem to have tried) - but it took me more than one try to get it to work. I don't see a CPU stress test in your list. I would try that next - with temperature monitoring.

Mar 19, 2018

Thanks for the replay. I tried stress testing my CPU using Prime95 and I did not experience any crashing or anything unusual. Temps maxed out in the low to mid 50s°C. I might just have to replace the motherboard and see if anything changes I guess. I hear that motherboards are far more likely to fail than CPUs anyway.