Question Computer freezing but not in a normal way. No fixes anywhere.

Aug 20, 2021
Hello
For months now my PC will freeze but for some reason I can still move my mouse and close applications that are open. At this point I think it’s a hardware problem but I’m not sure. Some days I can leave the PC on all day and then it’ll freeze while other days it’ll freeze quickly after startup. Heres a list of things I’ve done to try to fix this issue.

Reset PC to factory settings
Changed Power management settings/HDD settings
Fresh install of windows
Cleaned the pc of dust or anything that would be an issue
Updated all drivers for everything to their newest most recent ones.

For example, I will be watching youtube and the video will freeze, not a youtube buffer mind you, and I will be able to exit out of full screen but any apps that were open can only be closed and not opened or touched. Keyboard shortcuts work and I can select restart computer but then it will just infinitely load on the restarting computer windows screen. I opened task manager to look at my parts and see what was happening and it said the gpu was at -1% and mind you this is a rtx2070 that's a little over a year old and I don't believe its the issue. I can drag apps around the screen and then close them but that's about it and in order to fix it all I can do is hold my power button and turn it back on. I'm lost and have no idea what to do at this point so any help is welcome. If I hit the windows key and pull up the panel of apps and windows stuff then try to click off or close it it stays open. I keep my taskbar hidden and have to hover over it to bring it up and when this issue happens when I hover over the taskbar it pops up but never goes away. I'm trying to provide as much info as possible to fix this because its been an issue for awhile.
Edit: Forgot to mention this never happens while playing games. Just while doing anything other than gaming.
Edit: Again with specs, sorry new to these posts.
Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070
Mobo: MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon
RAM: Gskill f4-3200c16-8GTZR DDR4
Storage: CT1000MX500SSD1 / Samsung 970 EVO500GB
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G+
If I forgot something ask me for it and I shall supply.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any sort error codes etc. that precede or correspond with the times of the freezes.

When the PC was cleaned were all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers checked to ensure that all were fully and firmly in place? Nothing loose.

Aug 20, 2021
when performing this did you use the same install package that lead to these issues or did you create a new updated installer with the media creation tool?
when performing this did you use the same install package that lead to these issues or did you create a new updated installer with the media creation tool?
Used the media creation tool for a new updater.

Aug 20, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any sort error codes etc. that precede or correspond with the times of the freezes.

When the PC was cleaned were all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers checked to ensure that all were fully and firmly in place? Nothing loose.
All of the parts are a little over a year old and the Samsung drive only has windows with 62GB out of 500 on it and my D drive is 103GB out of 1TB
I couldnt find any events that corresponded with it other than the ones saying I shut off my pc wrong.