Dec 19, 2020
My computer freezes every so often for about a second when a static shock from one of my cats, or me in a blanket, sends a shock through the desk. This is pause any video, videogame, or movie I'm trying to watch, and many programs will crash or permanently freeze, which is really getting on my nerve.
This has been happening for the last 2 months, and I've already bought a new mouse, keyboard, headset, Mobo, case, and Surge Protector, thinking each one was the problem. (I bought the peripherals thinking their cords had been chewed on by cats, plus their Geeksquad protection was about to run out).
I'm at my wits end here, trying to figure out what could be the cause.

Ralston18

Titan
Carefully inspect all cords for signs of cat chewing or other signs of damage. I would not expect that you will not find much but I do not know your cats and it would only take one tooth hole in a cable to cause problems.

I am thinking that your system is not properly grounded.

Instead of going to ground (earth) as designed, the electrons are finding a path through the computer's electronics.

The problem could be in the PC, the power connection cable, the outlet, the electrical circuit, or perhaps the entire house. Any other noted electrical problems: dimming lights, outlets or switches not working?

Try a new power cord (unlikely) and another electrical socket that is on the same circuit and another electrical socket on a different circuit. Try with and without the surge protector.

Key is to narrow down the problem - even if by elimination.

If you are comfortable doing so, power down, unplug, open the case.,

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated. Especially connectors - ensure that the connectors are completely plugged in and that the wires going into the connectors are not loose or showing.

Look for any signs of pinched, kinked, or damaged wires inside the computer. Watch for bare metal showing through insulation.