computer freezing during games

Andayroo

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
The problem:
Starting about a week ago, my computer began to freeze while I was playing overwatch, maybe 3-4hrs of playing on a hot day. It repeatedly crashes now whenever I play games or run diagnostics (more on that later). It does not seem to have any issues with casual browsing or low-output tasks.

The freezing will keep the display up, fans running, but everything is non-responsive. It will not turn off by holding the power button, I have to hit reset or turn off the power from the back. If I reset it, the MOBO CPU_LED red light will come on, fans start running, but there will be no display. At this point I am able to turn off the computer, turn it back on, and it will boot without a problem. The PC only enters this mode directly after a crash and by hitting the reset button on my tower.

System:
I built this about 4yrs ago. Have had no issues, only changes made were a newer gpu about 8 months ago.

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC, 6GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 Memory
Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
I have a CPU master cooler (air) and about 6 fans on the rig

Troubleshooting:
First, I checked for drivers. There was a new one available for my GPU and I updated it. All other drivers were up to date.

Ran CPU diagnostic with OCCT. I am able to run a full 1hr automatic test on CPU, however if I try running a GPU or power supply test, the system will freeze. I successfully ran a 20min test on both and it did not crash. If I run an infinite test or an hour, it freezes and I have no data to go on. No errors detected on 20min runs and no values seem to be out of order. Temps never got to dangerous levels, maybe 67C being the hottest

I'm thinking I have a bad power supply, maybe the MOBO overheated, or the GPU is acting up.

I can post OCCT diagnostics if you feel that helps. Thanks!

mgallo848

Commendable

Actually, that is a dangerous temp for FX series chips.

They should not go over 60C. Anything higher is in the "dangerous" area.
FX chips will throttle CPU speeds at 70C. You're probably hitting thermal throttling to avoid physical damage to the CPU or capacitors on the motherboard.

Andayroo

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

while running a stress test? I haven't used either of these programs before, and Im not sure what do get out of them.

Andayroo

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

I was actually referring to my GPU temps for the 67, however my CPU did get average temps from 61-64. Should I try reseating or apply new thermal paste for the cpu?

mgallo848

Commendable
Ah ok, I thought that was the CPU temp.

61-64 is still high for that CPU. Yes you could reapply a fresh coat of thermal paste. Are you overclocking by any chance? Is the case fans free of dust? Anything surrounding the case to cause it from getting fresh air?

Andayroo

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

not overclocking, I havent actually dusted out my case but there isnt a crazy amount... checked fans and whatnot. It's been warm here so I did have the side of the case off when playing, less direct heat that way