Computer freezing - Force restart required - Please help

Gnosisfox

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me.

I upgraded my PC last month as the power supply died. However at random times my PC will completely freeze, cutting sound, I am also unable to use my keyboard at this point. My only solution is to hard restart.

My specs are -

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-K68UK4D
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU
Processor AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F2, 25/11/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume5
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.420"
User Name DESKTOP-K68UK4D\andre
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.98 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.93 GB
Total Virtual Memory 11.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.75 GB
Page File Space 3.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Also, I am very new to the PC world, I don't understand the lingo and I generally have to google what a lot of people mean. Please let me know if you need more information.

Solution
I regret to inform you that the information I previously provided you with is incomplete. I have since learned that the power delivery systems on that motherboard struggle with FX CPUs above 95W. I would recommend upgrading to the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 if you want to solve the problem on this machine. However, if I were you and I had the money, I would just build a new Intel machine.

Selling your current machine as individual parts will yield a higher profit than selling it as a whole.
I just took a look at your motherboard on the manufacture website and I can tell you just from looking at product pictures that it's not optimized for the FX series of CPUs. The power delivery systems are weak, and the VRM and chipset heatsinks are not big enough.

It's common for these lower model AM3+ motherboards to be lacking in the power delivery department. Also, the FX series of CPUs are rather power hungry. The FX 8350 says it consumes 125W, but mine was more like almost 140W.

Gnosisfox

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Thank you for getting back to me,

the issue happens very randomly I can never determine when it will happen, my PC could be idle and I could just be on the internet, and this happens.

Graphics card - AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series
All temps seem at and average level when gaming. They never exceed past 60.

My power supply is - ACE ATX2 V3 2.03

Do your CPU temps ever get above 55C?

Ace is the same company as Arctic, the company that runs Arctic Cooling... Their power supplies are horrible. Please consider a higher quality unit.

I recommend the Cooler Master V series, Corsair RM/RMx/RMi series, and the EVGA SuperNOVA GS/G2/P2/T2 series of power supplies.

Gnosisfox

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

I dont really understand what this means.

There were two separate topics in my last post...

I was asking if your CPU temp ever exceeds 55 Celsius.

I was also stating that your current power supply is very low quality and that I would recommend replacing it immediately before it shows its true nature and becomes a fire hazard.

The V series by Cooler Master, the RM, RMx and RMi series by Corsair, and the SuperNOVA GS, G2, P2 and T2 series by EVGA are all high quality power supplies. I recommend these units.

Gnosisfox

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Hello,

My CPU temp is around 24 - 41C It does not go over 55.
Thank you for your power supply suggestions, however on what basis will this solve my freezing issue?
I ask as mentioned, I do not understand this lingo too well.

Gnosisfox

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Hello,

I have replaced my powersupply with a corsair. The problem still persists. It sadly keeps happening very rarely that I do not know why its happening.

It has happened while gamine / just on the internet.

I regret to inform you that the information I previously provided you with is incomplete. I have since learned that the power delivery systems on that motherboard struggle with FX CPUs above 95W. I would recommend upgrading to the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 if you want to solve the problem on this machine. However, if I were you and I had the money, I would just build a new Intel machine.

Selling your current machine as individual parts will yield a higher profit than selling it as a whole.

Solution