Computer freezing: Help set BIOS for G.Skill RAM?

jorgegonzalez

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I have never fiddled with RAM speeds, so please excuse my noobiness, and all the info I've seen online is mentioned tCK and COPD or some such and I don't know what they're talking about, so if you can answer and be a bit more specific, please let me nkow.

I have 2 4GB G.Skill Sniper sticks, DDR3-1866
F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

a motherboard:
ASUS F2 A85-M CSM

And an APU:
AMD A10 5800K

My computer keeps randomly freezing, and I've checked everything else, currently running a memtest that seems to be doing just fine, so I think I need to change something in the BIOS, but I've never done it before. Anyway, hoping that changing something in the BIOS will make my computer stop freezing.

Manually input DRAM Frequency, Timings, and Voltage. Or, enable the DOCP/EOCP enhanced performance profile.

In addition, you may need to boost CPU-NB Voltage +0.05V. Once you input these values, the computer should be stable. If not, test each module individually to see if both perform the same. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

Keep me posted on the result.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

The RAM information is always on the memory and packaging. For that model, it is DDR3-1866, 9-10-9-28 1.50V

DOCP/EOCP is the automatic feature, if enabled, the motherboard can detect and set all the values above. Otherwise you would have to input each manually.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

jorgegonzalez

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Okay, so I updated BIOS to version 5107, set the DOCP to those settings, but still didn't find a way in BIOS to set NB voltage (the UEFI just has offset ratings, no voltage settings that I could see). So I got AMD Overdrive and increased the voltage that way, from:

NB VID Target 1.1875 Current: 1.2
to
NB VID Target 1.2400

And the computer still freezes randomly.

Also, with the new BIOS, when it turns on, the ASUS screen goes by so fast sometimes I don't see it at all, so I think it'll be hard messing around in the BIOS again.

I've moved the memory sticks around in their slots. The computer still freezes randomly, regardless of which stick is in which slot. Though I think it freezes a bit sooner when there's only one stick in there.

I just want my computer to stop freezing. Maybe if instead of having it at 1866 I can lower it? If so, how do I do that and at what settings?

jorgegonzalez

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
So I tried the 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5, and it froze more often.
With the DOCP value at 1866, I notice that if I set the DRAM voltage to 1.55 it freezes less often, but I don't know that if making it go up even higher is safe. Any other suggestions?

jorgegonzalez

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I did that first. No difference, regardless of which stick I put in which slot.