Computer freezing on motherboard splash screen

krazykonr

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I've read all the other motherboard splash screen freezing questions, and I haven't seen one like my situation. So I built my computer a number of weeks ago now, and in the last two weeks, on three occasions I have gone to turn it on and it would freeze on the mobo splash screen. I tried to isolate it by unplugging things at the back of my computer, and it appears two external hard drives are the problem. Whenever I leave my computer off for an extended period of time, like a few hours or more, and I go to turn it on again, if those two external HDDs are plugged in, it just won't turn on. It's a pain always having to take them in and out every time I want to turn my computer on, so if anyone has any solutions that would be really handy. My computer's specs are Gigabyte Z87m-D3H, 8gb ram, amd r7790c 2gb, i7-4770.

EDIT: Windows 8.

Solution
In some instances I have reviewed, Leaving the External HHD's plugged in to the USB hubs will drain the CMOS battery or it is possible it is weak. I would provide links to validate the circumstances but currently I'm a bit busy & just reviewed your post. Google this & see what you come up with! Hope it helps! Also without reviewing your Motherboard Specs, do you have the USB Charger option TURNED ON?

GUNNY1966

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
In some instances I have reviewed, Leaving the External HHD's plugged in to the USB hubs will drain the CMOS battery or it is possible it is weak. I would provide links to validate the circumstances but currently I'm a bit busy & just reviewed your post. Google this & see what you come up with! Hope it helps! Also without reviewing your Motherboard Specs, do you have the USB Charger option TURNED ON?

Solution