Question Computer freezing randomly, usually while gaming ?

Galactic Gunk

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
This started happening months ago and I'm not quite sure what's going on. It happened shortly after upgrading my RAM and CPU (I upgraded them at the same time) I thought maybe it was a PSU issue so I upgraded that, didn't fix. Figured it could be hard drive failure so I replaced that, didn't help either. I do have my old drive connected but it doesn't have an OS installed and just has old files.

The freezes happen seemingly randomly, but I can replicate them by doing certain things, for instance talking in Discord, listening to Spotify, and running Final Fantasy XIV all simultaneously. Or now, just within a few minutes of running NieR Replicant. Other games do just fine, for instance I can play Yakuza: Like a Dragon all day with no freezes.

The weird part is there's no overheating or 100% use of resources going on when these crashes occur. Even weirder I've noticed, I'd ran memtest (the kind you run with your system on) and left it for a good bit with no issues other than my computer running slow. However I did notice when closing them all out, it locked up again. The only way out is to hard reset my computer.

I'm at my wit's end here. I tried one stick of RAM instead of both and got the same result (admittedly I didn't try the same with the other stick due to frustration with re-hooking everything up, but I'm trying to see if there's any more educated guesses on what's going on here) I also changed them from slots 1 and 2 to 2 and 4, meaning it's now running dual channel, still didn't fix anything.

I don't know if it's related, and also why I initially thought it was a PSU issue, is that when I restart my computer, sometimes the internal light from the mobo kicks on, but the fans don't sound like they are going and the peripherals don't light up, until it kicks itself off and then back on again for good the second time. Is this a failing mobo issue? The only things I've not replaced since this issue is the cpu, the ram, gpu, and mobo.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Specs:
Intel i7-4790k 4.00ghz
Yongxinsheng DDR3 8GB 1600MHz UDIMM RAM (PC3-12800) CL11 240Pin 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered Desktop Memory Upgrade Stick x2 (16gb)
nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87X 3D
WD Blue 2.5-Inch 3D NAND SATA SSD 1TB
Western Digital WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 1TB
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
ARESGAME 750W Power Supply Semi Modular 80+ Bronze PSU (AGV750) (Installed in March of this year)

Last edited:

Galactic Gunk

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Okay I've officially tried that game it loves freezing with on both sticks of RAM individually, and got the same result, although it did last a minute longer than usual.

While trying to boot using only my new SSD that I installed my OS on, it wouldn't let me boot saying to install a boot device. Confused, I tried with just the secondary, to which it gave me a blue screen saying the OS boot files were corrupted or some such. so I'm wondering since they are co-dependent on each other if it could still be the old drive causing this issue? I don't mind doing a fresh install yet again on the newer SSD alone, but I'd like some input on if this could be the issue or not before I commit.

I appreciate any help going forward

Galactic Gunk

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Alright. swapped my CPU out for one my gf had layin around. So far so good, hasn't crashed in that game yet and am trying others it would do the same on. Looking like the CPU was the issue here but I will update in a few days.

Galactic Gunk

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Wellp.. I was running fine since Friday using my gf's old Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz.. Even updated my BIOS to the latest version in case that was an issue. Ordered another 4790k off Amazon and got it today, tried the game it used to crash on and once again, it crashed. I'm at my wit's end here. The only other thing I can guess is that it's the motherboard. But why does it let me use her old chip just fine but reject the 4790k specifically? gahhhh