Computer Freezing randomly

jimthemarine

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
So I built my desktop recently and for the first couple days it was fine. Then it started freezing randomly, at first when playing games and then it happened when I was just moving my mouse around on my desktop with nothing open. All the fans and other hardware are still on it's just that everything is frozen. When playing games, the audio stutters.

I don't know much about building desktops (a friend helped me out). Not sure what else I need to include here.

MSi gtx 970 gold edition
ADATA XPG V2 Series Tungsten Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
ASUS AC1900 PCE-AC68 Dual-Band Wireless PCI-E Adapter
Corsair RM650 PSU
Barracuda 2TB HD
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz
Samsung 250gb SSD

Any help would be great. Oh and I run Windows 8.1

jimthemarine

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
One day for like 5 straight times it went to the blue screen. Then I got it to boot in safe mode, restarted it and it was fine again. Once it was fine, I restored it to like the day after I built the desktop and it's been fine ever since. I don't overclock.

Thanks for the advice, I will do that right away.

EDIT: So those BIOS updates are incompatible with 64 bit Windows which I am running...

jimthemarine

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

Sorry for the slow reply, the entire day yesterday this web site was showing me 500 error.

Anyways, I have updated the BIOS now. In addition to freezing, my nvidia graphics will now fail for a few seconds and the message will say something like 'the driver has failed but recovered'. It's happening more and more frequently now. One time the screen went black but my music was still playing normally. I had to reset it manually.