Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
specs -
Processor AMD FX-9370
Graphics Card AMD Radeon R9 270X
Power Supply Corsair cx 850
motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
RAM 16gb DDR3

Lately my computer has been freezing randomly. Theres no blue screen or anything and I have to hold to power button down to shut it down. It leaves no error messages in the event viewer. It's not overheating. I've ran memtests and not found anything. Also it has been randomly shutting down with no warning. It will instantly start back up afterwords. What should I do or try? I also reinstalled windows and it didn't fix it. I tried running the malicious software removal tool in normal mode but it would only run for about thirty minutes before the computer would freeze. I ran this tool in safe mode and it ran the whole time. I have had my computer in safe mode the last couple days and it has never frozen. It seems to do it more while I am running a game or running diagnostic programs. If I'm just surfing the web it never seems to do it.

1) Which version ga 990FXA-UD3 do you have? If it is below rev 4.0, you are better to buy other best MB for the fx9370.
2) Which PSU do you have? there two version cx 850, one is green/white label, other one is black/white.

Because either the MB or PSU may have problem.

Logan_43

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

I'm not sure which of the motherboards I have as I had it RMA'd a couple times few months ago. The PSU is the black and white label and I got that at the same time I got the motherboard RMA'd.

You have to have a topnotch 990 chipset MB for the fx 9370, like Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, GA-990FXA-UD7, Sabertooth 990FX, etc. because the fx 9370 has 220W TDP, not all of the 990 chipset MB can handle it.
You can test it, like go into the BIOS, disable few cores or under-clock the cpu. If the PC run fine after that, you know your MB has problem to keep up the fx 9370.

Logan_43

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I tried scanning the main hard drive in normal mode and it froze. I went to safe mode and did it and found a few errors and ran the fix on them. It still froze afterward. I checked the ram chips and they looked normal. I then boot one each one individually and it booted up normally.

Also I looked in aid64 and it says I have the rev 2 chipset. This motherboard has been running the computer for a few months since i had to rma it and for a few years before that.

Logan_43

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Looking at it now it might actually be overheating. I was looking at gpu temps before. It looks like my cpu is running pretty hot. Could that cause an issue like this?

That means you had the 120mm one. Using AMD overdrive or other like MSI afterburner to double check the cpu/gpu temp again when you do something. Even you said it is not overheat. You should keep the cpu temp around 60C for fx 9370, ,80C for the r9 270x.

And using DDU to uninstall the GPU driver in safemode, then reinstall it. Also may try update the amd chipset driver too.

Logan_43

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
The gpu isn't overheating but the cpu definitely is. It was running high 70s and into the 80s. I cleaned out the radiator and its still above 60 but not as high as before and isn't freezing nearly as much as before.

Because you had the 120mm water cooler, and fx9370 has 220W TDP, the cooler can't handle it. If you use the 120mm cooler either underclock the cpu or disable few cores. Otherwise buy the 240mm cooler. Or forget about the fx9370, if you can sell it, just do it and get the fx 8350 or something else.

Also your MB has problem to compatible with fx9370 too, because it is the rev2.0
Some info for the ga 990FXA-UD3 MB VRMs overheat problem.
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=15909.0
http://www.overclock.net/t/1462028/apparent-vrm-overheating-on-ga-990fxa-ud3

kriptkori

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
if you think that the cause of freezing is cpu temprature altough radiator is cleaned, you can try to replace termal paste if you havent done for long time. I suggest this according to your sentence "It seems to do it more while I am running a game or running diagnostic programs". Be sure cooler is mounted properly. check the directory C:\Windows\minidump folder. if there is a minidump folder it means that you got error message.