Question Computer Freezing Right After Startup

cwbrumm

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
I recently upgraded to an RTX 2070 Super (which was working fine with my previous system). Last night I upgraded to an i7-9700K along with an AORUS Master Z390 mobo.

When I try to boot, the lights will turn on, fans will spin, the LED code indicator will run through a variety of codes, and it will turn itself off and re-start the process. Sometimes it does this just the one time, sometimes multiple times, before finally turning on and staying on with the code showing "A0" (which is what I want, apparently). I can get past the BIOS screen, but the system will freeze up almost immediately thereafter. On a few occasions I have made it to the login page in windows, but it either freezes before I can type in my password or immediately thereafter. It just always seems to be a random point after clearing the bios. I am trying to boot from a 120GB M.2 SSD.

Sometimes when I decide to enter the BIOS on startup, it will say my cmos has been cleared, even though I didn't clear it manually. This isn't always the case, though.

I've tried booting without GPU and with GPU in different PCIe slots. I've tried with only 1 stick of RAM (each one of my 2 sticks on their own), in both the A1 and B1 slots and with 2 sticks in A1/B1 and in A2/B2 slots. I've tried using the alternate 8-pin power slot. Tried just loosening CPU cooler. Uninstalled CPU cooler and inspected CPU chipset, no bent/broken pins and re-seated CPU. Tried re-seating the 24-pin connector. All combinations have the same result as stated above.

I don't know what to do at this point. Spending $1100 on upgrades to end up with a dead system can be quite discouraging. :/

Specs:
i7-9700K
AORUS Master Z390
Geforce RTX 2070 Super
GSkill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200Mhz DDR4
NZXT Kraken x62
Corsair 120GB SSD M.2
Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD

cwbrumm

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
Ah... you'd think a 9th gen board/chipset would come ready to run a 9th gen chip lol.

It's on F7 right now so hopefully that resolves all my issues!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS