Computer freezing & sound replaying

RobertLycklama

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
Hello guys,

Recently I upgraded my computer so I am able to play the newer games. I replaced everything except my power supply and I think that is now biting me back and I just want to make sure this is my problem.

Basically I had this problem on my old computer where it would sometimes just freeze and the sound that was playing at that moment repeating till I hard resetted my computer. It never bothered me much and just kind of ignored it. However in my new computer I have the exact same issue and I have it happen a lot more, so I went to investigate. After browsing the forum I ended up going to the windows logs and it gives me a Kernel-Power ID41 error which says that my power supply is the problem, which would explain why it happens on my old and new computer.

I checked to see if my Power supply provides enough wattage (550W) and on PcPartpicker is says that I have more than enough Watts to provide to my computer.

These are the specs I am currently running:
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A
CPU: Intel i5 6600K
CPU Cooler: Scythe Kotsetsu
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming 8G
RAM: 16GB Fury DDR4 @1066Mhz
SSD: 250GB Samsung EVO series
HDD: 1TB Western digital
PSU: 550W Bronze-series Cooler master power supply

In my old rig I was running an i5 3570k and a gtx 660, not sure about the rest. The power supply is the only old part in this rig.

So basically I want to make sure that buying a new power supply is the only way to fix this issue.

tldr; New PC, Same PSU, Same error with screen freezing & sound replaying, Kernel-power ID41 Error, Is new PSU only solution?

Thanks in advance,

Robert Lycklama