[SOLVED] Computer Freezing Up With Certain Games

Dec 15, 2018
Hey, I've been having problems with two games as of recent. It used to be just the one, but now it's affecting another and it might affect more soon. The two games I'm having troubles with are Overwatch and Dead by Daylight. All of my problems occur within the startup screen of both games. None of my problems have to do with overheating since when I was able to play those games, I played them on the highest settings just fine.

Let me explain exactly what happens ( I even have a video if anyone wants to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_xQyFlp8aE ). It's exactly the same process for both games ( with slightly different times). I'll use Overwatch as an example to start. When I would launch Overwatch, it would get into the main menu, I'd be able to move around for 5 - 20 seconds and then my computer would make a single click sound and my screen would turn off. It would then proceed to say "HDMI NO SIGNAL" and I would have to manually unplug the computer because it was frozen. Could not hold down the reset button.

The same thing happens for Dead by Daylight, except it's after I skip the main cutscene and before the game fully loads. It'll freeze up on the main loading screen and then lose the HDMI signal thing while freezing up my whole computer.

To combat this, my friend has recommended me a few things to try, none of them have succeeded. The few things I have tried are uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics card driver and switching HDMI cords. Can't remember if I did anything else but yeah. Also, I can't find any sort of error report for when this happens other than event viewer saying kernal power critical error because the computer was not shut down correctly.

The reason I highly believe it's not heat related is that it only happens on the startup of games. For Overwatch, it's been happening for months now, so I've uninstalled that game. When it comes to Dead by Daylight, it started happening a few days ago with no chance of it working like Overwatch did (it was like 50/50 with Overwatch). I have 100 hours in Dead by Daylight and I play with the highest graphics and never had problems with it once (within the last month or two I've played 50 hours). But now I can't play it at all.

The last thing recommended to me was to see if it was a problem with my power supply, I've tried opening my computer and switching it out but my god is it a maze in there. If you guys really think it does have to do with my power supply after we all talk for a bit, I'll have it taken in and looked at. But right now I want to see if there are any other ideas first.

Here is a dxdiag thing: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zRfCV12yUsr667qFYjwttas

Solution

Replace the PSU with a good unit, that one is not a good unit.

550W is fine.

Seasonic Focus Plus
EVGA G2 or G3
Corsair RMX.

Replace the PSU with a good unit, that one is not a good unit.

550W is fine.

Seasonic Focus Plus
EVGA G2 or G3
Corsair RMX.

Solution

Rexer

Distinguished
Are these Steam games? Steam games does the courtesy of remembering your game settings when you repair a game, reloading or installing on another computer. It's pretty handy but sometimes remembers a crash like a game setting. Go into each game a find the reset or 'set to default' or default button. If it's in the game it'll remove it. Make sure you write down your settings first as they will be gone.
Home this helps.