Computer freezing when i install AMD graphics drivers

May 6, 2018
Hi guys,

on Saturday night I was playing GTA V and my computer crashes, not uncommon looking into getting a new computer in a few months anyway. When I start my computer up it was freezing on startup, not even getting to the login phase. After a bit of digging, I found out it was my graphics drivers.

I uninstalled my graphics drivers in safe mode and my computer would start up again. I go to reinstall my drivers and my computer displays a black screen, common in a driver install, but freezes. The only thing that was telling me other than the long wait time was the face I have a clock plugged in and it would freeze so it is certainly a crash. Upon restarting the computer the same would happen again, the computer would freeze at startup. I would have to go back into safe mode and uninstall the drivers again to get the computer running.

After some more digging, I started to try lots of things:

>installing the previous driver version - no change still crashes
>installing an old driver version and install a new driver on top of it
>install the driver in safe mode
> disable EnableULPS in the registry - although the computer would crash before the driver successfully installed. It was something I did in safe mode after.
>Install even older drivers - error 182
>system restore to a restore point - unsuccessful no changed were made to your system.
-I have tried more things but I have lost count

My specs:

2 x r9 270x in crossfire
AMD FX 6300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AMD 970
3.5 TB of storage
Corsair RM1000 - ik it's overkill it is something for my next build I had to put in because my other PSU died a while back.

any other specs needed to feel free to ask

I will try to respond as fast as possible but I have exams in the next 2 days,

thanks, guys and hope you can help!

-Alex.

The best advice I can give is to a driver version that has worked in the past.

Also since freezes are mostly due to software issues like incompatible drivers, corrupted files and irq conflicts. Updating the motherboard drivers and other device drivers is warranted. A repair installation or a fresh install of the operating system may be necessary. Also updating the motherboard BIOS may also be necessary.

You can contact AMD to see if they have a fix for the problem (like a beta driver).

May 6, 2018
The last driver that worked was 1.3.x, not sure which one but they all give me error 182. In the morning, I will update my other drivers too.

Thanks for the advice,

-Alex.

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I had an issue with updating AMD drivers a few years ago. I fixed it by reinstalling windows. Before I did that, I asked about it on Tom's hardware. My issue was with "catalyst control center." It would constantly hang when I try to change settings, and it wouldn't let me uninstall the old one or install the new one. Someone on here gave me a work around.

I basically had to turn off my PC, reset the CMOS by using the jumper, remove my video card, and connect the cable to my onboard video card. After that I'd run it in safe mode, go into device manager and manually uninstall the AMD video card drivers. Turn it off, reconnect everything to my GPU, then install the new drivers. For some reason, i had to do it every time I installed new drivers. Windows would always freeze, on the last step, when uninstall or installing the drivers. Once I reinstalled windows, I've never had that problem.

May 6, 2018

I did something along them lines already with no luck sadly, I reset the CMOS but I don't have onboard graphics so I can't do that step.

Thanks for the reply,

-Alex

May 6, 2018

Yes, it does thanks so much for your help! The only issue now is that my pc is only picking up one of my GPUs but if it is too much work I might not bother because I am getting a new PC in a few months anyway.

If you have any ideas though that would be great,

Thanks so much!

Then it may be a problem with the other GPU itself, or the slot, or the PCIE power cable. It may also be an issue of configuring the Crossfire or the connection between the cards. Is crossfire enabled? Are the two graphics cards compatible with each other in crossfire?