[SOLVED] Computer freezing while gaming

Jan 31, 2019
Hi guys so sometimes only the game screen freezes (so I can still use my mouse and keyboard and access any other stuff on my computer) and sometimes my whole computer freezes with buzzing noise. The games that I usually play are Diablo III, Csgo, league of legends, etc.

Specs:
Ram: Ballistix sport 4gb x4 (tested out my rams, they're good)
Cpu: i7 8700k (didn't overclock it yet, brand new cpu)
mobo: asus z390 rog strix-e (brand new as well bought it with cpu)
graphics: gtx 970 g1 gaming (about 4-5 years old since purchased)
psu: corsair rm 750i (there is a fan test and when i press the button, the fan spins)
hard drive: samsung 850 evo 250gb (have 130+ gb left)

I've tried formatting, reinstalled windows countless amount of times, tried installing many different versions of graphics card driver (using ddu of course), current windows version is 1803, tried 1809 made no difference whatsoever.

The one thing that I noticed was that when playing Diablo III or rpg games, my gpu's temp goes up to 75-81 celsius) I've tried using afterburner to increase the maximum temperature, fan speed, made no difference, it still freezes. Also when the game freezes not the computer, the utilization of gpu goes down 0% (and this makes sense because the game is frozen) and the freeze last about 10 seconds and it keeps freezing every 30sec - 1min and then it goes away for a bit and then comes back at the end. I've ran multiple stress tests for my cpu and gpu and have no issues with them. I'm thinking maybe my gpu can't keep up with my cpu?

Let me know what you guys think hopefully someone can help me resolve these issues.

So I've encountered my computer freezing again while playing csgo and it seems like my usb turns off. I'm trying to figure out if it's caused by computer equipments such as, mouse, keyboard, speaker, and my headset, but the thing is I dont' see any issues on my devices and printers tab nor on device manager. Maybe some of the usb is not compatible with the motherboard's usb ports?

Equipments:
Mouse: zowie ec1-a
keyboard: Razer BlackWidow X Chroma
speaker: britz (I don't know the model number, all I know is that its' really old)
Headset: Steelseries arctis pro (the regular one without gamedoc w.e)

Please help guys. I really need help

Solution

If it's coming through the speakers then it would be more likely the graphics card.

You could remove the graphics card and play with the MB graphics and see if it freezes or if you hear the buzzing sound.

Buzzing sound is coming from were exactly?

Could be the PSU or the GPU, more than likely the PSU.

Jan 31, 2019

So I can't hear the buzzing noise when I turn my speaker off so I can't really tell where it's coming from to be honest.

If it's coming through the speakers then it would be more likely the graphics card.

You could remove the graphics card and play with the MB graphics and see if it freezes or if you hear the buzzing sound.

Solution
Jan 31, 2019

That's what I thought too, but I'm just not sure. Is there a specific way to see if my graphics card is dying? Maybe I can try another stress test and see if the computer crashes? What do you recommend?

3DMArk Fire Strike.

FURMARK

Valley Benchmark.

Jan 31, 2019

I'll try all three of them and will get back to you. Also I don't know why, but my mobo has a display port and hdmi and I've tried connecting one of my monitor to the mobo using display port and it doesn't work.

Jan 31, 2019

is there a driver that I have to install to use integrated graphics card?

No, Windows will install it, just update Windows after you take out the GPU.

If you are going to test the MB graphics run 3DMark Skydiver.

Jan 31, 2019

Alright finished all the benchmarks, I didn't have any issue with gpu nor mobo gpu.

Jan 31, 2019
Alright guys so I've figured it out that it's my graphics card that's causing the freezing it seems like. Now my question is which gpu do you guys recommend? I'm thinking either rtx 2070 or gtx 1080 or maybe rtx 2080. Looking on microcenter, it seems like the price of rtx 2070 and gtx 1080 are about the same. Also should I replace my psu as well when I'm replacing my gpu? If so, which one do you guys recommend for my current spec. Please let me know

I would say the RTX 2070 unless you want more performance then jump to the RTX 2080.

As far as the PSU goes I would wait as it should be fine for now.

TRENDING THREADS