Computer Freezing while Playing Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta2124

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I built my computer about 4 months ago. About a month ago, it broke down and I RMA'd my motherboard and PSU. I just got my replacements and got my computer working again. However, whenever I try to play games on my computer, it locks ups about 5 minutes in-game. The lockups would be a frozen picture and sound looping in the background. Then, I have to flick the power switch in the back and try several times before my computer properly boots up again. The games I have tried were Starcraft 2 and Counter-Strike Source. I have tried updating drivers, and have seen immediate results. However, the next day, it locks up again as it was before updating the drivers. It doesn't seem to be overheating as the cpu temp is 43 C and the gpu temp 48 C. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Specifications
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 640 GB
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 512MB
PSU: OCZ FATAL1TY 750W
Sound Card: Speakers (VIA High Definition Audio)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX
*Nothing is overclocked

Solution
Temps are fine, but 59 on full load , with 43 idle, strange. using Hw monitor ? Play an intensive game, then check your max after...
Well, the part of not powering up is weird.. has the psu been checked ?
For the drivers, download from official website, then remove your current, clean registry, then install what you dwlD.. Try that for now..

Delta2124

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the reply. According to ASUS, they fixed the motherboard and sent it back to me so I am assuming that it is my old motherboard. This morning I got a BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I checked my RAM to see if it was a problem but the diagnostic didn't encounter any errors. Should I reformat and reinstall Windows still?

Delta2124

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
My GPU temps are 43 C and 59 C when in-game. I have not cleaned the registry prior to updating graphic driver. I just allowed Windows Update install it. Would that be the cause? I haven't done that for any other driver. Would reformat be the best option (I already have all my data backed up on my external)? Also, I don't understand why my computer doesn't power up after crashing. It takes several times for the startup screen to appear.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Temps are fine, but 59 on full load , with 43 idle, strange. using Hw monitor ? Play an intensive game, then check your max after...
Well, the part of not powering up is weird.. has the psu been checked ?
For the drivers, download from official website, then remove your current, clean registry, then install what you dwlD.. Try that for now..

Solution

Delta2124

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Yeah I used Hw monitor while playing Fallout 3 in window mode. The PSU should be fine as everything still has power. The fans are spinning and leds are on when I power up, its just that the startup screen doesn't appear. Maybe not booting from hard drive properly?

UPDATE:
I tried using my hard drive from my old Vista 32 bit computer and it too had the same problem with the computer shutting down in-game. It also had the same startup issue, where the BIOS wouldn't even appear. So maybe its the motherboard causing all this?

Delta2124

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
SOLUTION: I reformatted my computer and reinstalled Windows 7 (Took a while since it kept freezing during install...Guess it didn't like my RAM). My computer no longer shuts off 5 minutes into a game or video. Seems like it was the drivers after all. Thank you 55range for your help in this arduous quest to repair my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.