Question Computer freezing

Apr 3, 2021
Computer freezes while playing a game then the screen ramping up purple green blue yellow colors then BSOD after

First of all, I got the card second hand, a Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB, it's clean, drivers installed great with no hiccups overall, then this happened, I currently have no picture to show cause it just happened fast and randomly 2 times now, you see I was playing a game (PUBG Lite) then after a while (note that I'm monitoring my system with the OSD from rivatuner) the screen freezes then the color of the specific picture in the screen turns purple, green, yellow, blue, imagine like a faulty VGA when you hook it up to an old computer, then suddenly had BSOD (Stop code: Video scheduler internal error), now this just happened after I put a graphics card on my system specifically the GTX 460 (I know the card is old and on it's edge now), I just want to know if there's a fix on this or should I just bear with the issue while saving up for an upgrade?

The specs of the system I used to play with are;

Intel Core i5-4670 @3.4ghz
2x4gb DDR3 1600mhz (Micron)
GTX 460 1GB
Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze

This system runs perfectly fine, I played with this hooking up an R9 290 with no problems at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you use DDU to uninstall the AMD GPU's driver prior to removing the AMD card and then dropping the GTX460 card in? If not, you should do so now. You are advised to install your GPU drivers manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Speaking of which, make and model of your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your system?

Given how old that GTX460 is at this point of time, I'm very sure you bought a GPU that's been taxed well into death(and then some more). Got a link to that GTX460 you own?

Reactions: Bryan Lei
Apr 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you use DDU to uninstall the AMD GPU's driver prior to removing the AMD card and then dropping the GTX460 card in? If not, you should do so now. You are advised to install your GPU drivers manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Speaking of which, make and model of your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your system?

Given how old that GTX460 is at this point of time, I'm very sure you bought a GPU that's been taxed well into death(and then some more). Got a link to that GTX460 you own?

Hi, thank you for a wonderful welcome!

Yes, I currently uninstalled all sorts of old drivers (R9 290, GTX 260) that I put on this system way back, and currently have the drivers just for the 460;

Ah yes I forgot to mention about the motherboard, this one is from a lenovo system, it's called Lenovo IS8XM (Rev. 1), it has a B85 chip on it. I don't know anything about the motherboard that could be a problem though.

I bought my PSU about 4 years ago, also I'm cleaning my internal components yearly (PSU, backside of the case, fans, and so on), and currently have no hiccups whatsoever when it comes to power.

Lastly the GPU details, I bought this online, thing called Lazada, it's like an AliExpress or eBay of some sort (for SEA countries), the seller is a shop from the capital of my country, they sell these kind of cards (GTX 400 series to 700 series) which I think they got from another countries like Korea for a very low price when bought on bulk, then refurbish it (that's what I think of it since it's clean and have some korean shop sticker), actually I got mine clean but when I tested it on Furmark and it's going over 85c and have to stop it, I removed the card and cleaned it inside, the thermal paste is kinda old and had to replace it, one thing I didn't consider is removing the heatsink that has a sticker for 2 weeks warranty from the shop where I bought the card, I ripped it off, and can't return the card no more (a very big mistake). For now it's working but have no trust no more, I got the card for 25usd when converted, I think I'll just keep this as a test card for a system that has no integrated graphics on it like the newer Ryzen (non G).

Thank you very much sir Lutfij, it's been great to tell all this and have someone who listens and answers, non of which I have in my place.