[SOLVED] Computer frequently shuts down (turns black indicating no signal) suddenly during use but fan and other components still on

• Thread starter Deleted member 2761709
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2761709

Before all, I just going to list my setup here in case I forgot to leave it later as it might be useful later for troubleshooting purposes
  • Motherboard: MSI B450M Gaming Plus
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
  • GPU: iGPU
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (8x2) 2666mhz CL16
  • Storage: ADATA SX6000 Lite 256gb NVMe SSD
  • PSU: Seasonic S12III 520W PSU
  • Wifi Card: A PCIe x1 Wifi Card from TP-Link (can't remember the model)
Other Peripherals Include Mouse and Keyboard (which I already know is not the cause of the issue) and an AOC monitor (again, can't remember the model)
A rather simple setup since this is my first build, I was on a tight budget and I haven't got the money to upgrade it yet.

So about a month ago my PC started having the problem mentioned above. Back then seldom happens. But now the issue had become so annoying as it keeps stagnating my workflow so I decided to find the root of the issue.

I used the elimination method as everyone ever advised since I have completely resetted my PC and do a fresh Windows 10 install again, eliminating all potential software causes, but the issue still persist after that so yeah. As stated above mouse and keyboard and other USB devices is not the cause. Loose HDMI cable? Isn't the problem either. So I knew I had to get inside my PC.

Using the method I can easily tell that the PCIe wifi card is not the problem. About the RAM, I use Memtest86 just to make sure there isn't any problems with it. SSD is working fine, no "no boot device" errors, isn't running slow, and I have even reinstalled the NVMe drive just to make sure it's in place and not arbitrarily inserted. The last component that I think is not faulty is the PSU. Well, the fan of the PSU is still spinning, and it's quite obvious that if the power supply was the cause, my PC shouldn't have booted and the fans shouldn't have kept spinning after the PC shuts down on itself.

Consequenly, it boils down to probably two of the most important and the hardest to troubleshoot components in the PC: the CPU and the mobo. I think you can't really troubleshoot a failing CPU other than replacing it, so I began diagnosing the motherboard. I checked for physically damaged parts, which I failed to find any, this mobo have only lasted for 6 months and it's a good motherboard anyways. There isn't any burning odors either, so little to none overheating issues. But that's far from all the issues the motherboard might have though, so I can't conclude anything yet.

So what if the CPU suffers from an overheating issues? That can be a possibility, but a very slim one. As this setup is not so powerful, I don't really do much extensive tasks, just internet browsing, light gaming, some tasks that require Office programs, maybe some video playback, and frankly, that's it. Sometimes I do stress test the computer to check it's reliability, and after running Prime95 for roughly 30 minutes, my CPU peaks out at 84 C, which is less than I would consider "overheated". I also adjusted the CPU voltages so that it is appropiate for the CPU performance.

After all of that, my issue still persists. So I guess my final move is to take it to the warranty service center and hope for the best, unless you guys (and probably girls) have some more troubleshooting tips for me. But there is another question, is it the CPU or the mobo that is the problem? They only allow to send one product at once, so I want to know specifically what component is faulty as no one really wants to waste precious time.

I posted this to ask you guys for help and opinions too. If you can help, I would be grateful.

Solution
Hi @Technical19

1st off, excellent job on the initial troubleshooting and for articulating the steps you've thus far taken. Very nice & thorough work on your end!

When you initially built your system, did you use every mobo riser? The bottom of the mobo isn't hitting your case anywhere is it?

What Bios version do you have for your mobo? You can use CPU-Z or just enter your Bios to check. Here's the latest version for your mobo's Bios.

Obviously no overclock's or other tweaks minus the CPU voltage adjustment correct? Why did you adjust the voltage and not set to auto? As you know, 95-degrees Celsius is the max temp for this CPU.

Have you tried clearing the Cmos? What happens if you don't adjust the CPU's voltage? Do...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @Technical19

1st off, excellent job on the initial troubleshooting and for articulating the steps you've thus far taken. Very nice & thorough work on your end!

When you initially built your system, did you use every mobo riser? The bottom of the mobo isn't hitting your case anywhere is it?

What Bios version do you have for your mobo? You can use CPU-Z or just enter your Bios to check. Here's the latest version for your mobo's Bios.

Obviously no overclock's or other tweaks minus the CPU voltage adjustment correct? Why did you adjust the voltage and not set to auto? As you know, 95-degrees Celsius is the max temp for this CPU.

Have you tried clearing the Cmos? What happens if you don't adjust the CPU's voltage? Do you have any settings set for the RAM? XMP profile 1 enabled? How about at stock? I know you ran the memtest, but how does the system run @ 8GB RAM? (1 stick at a time)

Have you tried disabling the iGPU and running a dedicated GPU? Just as a test as the Vega 8 is a surprisingly decent iGPU but I'm curious as to process of elimination.

When the screen goes black, and while the PC is still on, what happens if you turn off the monitor, wait 30 seconds and then turn it back on? Still a black screen?

Last but not least, have you completely uninstalled the driver package for your Vega 8 and then ONLY installed the drivers and not the other software that comes with? See here or here.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS