Question Computer Froze Every Two Weeks

Jan 14, 2023
Hello to everyone, I've assembled a new computer in late November and after 3 days has started the problem that I'm having until today. My computer froze every 2 weeks, yes , every 14 days(17 days in one episode), since I have it , it's happened 4 times , and everytime when i'm not playing, I'm not saying it couldn't happen even when I'm playing , but right now, I had these freezes just when i was on Idle or just watching a stream on Discord. So what it happens is that the computer stops working properly, I still can move the mouse, click something but it won't show up nothing, sometimes i can still open the start menu but it's empty, yesterday, the last time it happened, i tried to open the task manager but it was empty, sometimes I still can hear the audio. However the only thing i can do to restore the situation is reboot the computer from the restart button. I've checked the event viewer but i don't see anything suspected excepet the error about the reboot. I can play for hours with the videogames without problems, i can't understand which is the problem, the only things I know is that it happens once every 14days and when i'm not playing. I'm sad because I was happy to have a computer able to run the games i love, but this issue is making me crazy. I'll be so happy if someone could help me, i'm not a native speaker ,sorry for my english.
PC Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2
RAM: 16Gb (8x2) DDR4 CL16 3200Mhz Kingston Fury Beast
SSD: Samsung evo 980 500Gb
GPU: ASUS Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti 8Gb
PSU: Sharkoon 650W 80 Bronze
HDD: Seagate 7200RPM 1TB
CPU COOLER: DeepCool Liquid L240 A-RGB

Ralston18

Titan
Your English is fine.

Also take a look in Reliablity History and Task Scheduler.

The two week/14 day pattern is very likely to show up in the timeline format of Reliability History. Focus on any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that appear with a "two week" pattern. Especially those entries that occur just before or at the time of the freezes, etc..

Mark the days on a calendar. 14 days is interesting. 17 days - some holiday period perhaps....? Computer unused/offline for a couple of days.....?

Check Task Scheduler for some process that is being triggered every 14 days.

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (use all three tools but only one tool at a time) to search for some unknown or unexpected process or service running in the background. Investigate further as necessary.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free):

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Likely some app or utility trying to update, backup, or simply "phone home".

See what you can discover.

Jan 14, 2023
Your English is fine.

Also take a look in Reliablity History and Task Scheduler.

The two week/14 day pattern is very likely to show up in the timeline format of Reliability History. Focus on any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that appear with a "two week" pattern. Especially those entries that occur just before or at the time of the freezes, etc..

Mark the days on a calendar. 14 days is interesting. 17 days - some holiday period perhaps....? Computer unused/offline for a couple of days.....?

Check Task Scheduler for some process that is being triggered every 14 days.

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (use all three tools but only one tool at a time) to search for some unknown or unexpected process or service running in the background. Investigate further as necessary.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free):

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Likely some app or utility trying to update, backup, or simply "phone home".

See what you can discover.
Hi , today I tried what you suggested to me but I didn't seen anything strange... btw I have on my event viewer an error since i built the computer, It's a modern deployment diagnostic provider error "autopilot.dll" that i have everytime, maybe we can try to fix this to understand if in some way is the reason of the freeze. Today I also performed a "sfc /scannow" , it found and fixed something corrupted. I did it twice and now it says everything is ok. I will see if this fixed, i hope so. At the same time we can try to fix the moderndeployment-diagnostic-provider error

UPDATE: Today happened again... this time time after one day... 12am 01/14 and now 9:54pm 01/15... its the first time it happens two times in few days... I had HWMonitor opened , so I saw the last computer informations before the freeze, nothing strange to me...

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Open Reliability History and capture a couple of screenshots showing the errors. Click for "more details" and capture those screenshots as well.

The details may or may not be helpful.

Use Resource Monitor and Process Explorer (again just one tool at a time) to observe system performance.

Key is to discover some pattern with respect to the freezes. If the pattern has changed to become more random there are still things that can be done.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are all fully and firmly in place.

They all can and do work loose and cause all sorts of problems.

Also use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, cracks, loose or missing srews, etc..

Take your time, no need to rush. Be methodical and observant.

Keep mental track of what you have done and/doing. Think about that when the next freeze(s) occur.

Some common factor that stands out and can then be investigated more.

Jan 14, 2023
Open Reliability History and capture a couple of screenshots showing the errors. Click for "more details" and capture those screenshots as well.

The details may or may not be helpful.

Use Resource Monitor and Process Explorer (again just one tool at a time) to observe system performance.

Key is to discover some pattern with respect to the freezes. If the pattern has changed to become more random there are still things that can be done.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are all fully and firmly in place.

They all can and do work loose and cause all sorts of problems.

Also use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, cracks, loose or missing srews, etc..

Take your time, no need to rush. Be methodical and observant.

Keep mental track of what you have done and/doing. Think about that when the next freeze(s) occur.

Some common factor that stands out and can then be investigated more.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ZzxouVE

Hi, during this week i did some tests, it's happened again today after 7 days, i can't see anything strange in in the the events or process. This time i turned on the computer , after 30 minute i was back and the computer frozen ,i was able just to move the mouse. I did two tests that you can see in the link imgur , one with the memory diagnostic integrated in windows 10 , it seems ok , and then i just used crystal disk info to check my ssd that seems ok. I'll do another test for the RAM with memtest86 , to be sure they are good. For the ssd i don't know if i can check other things , it seems ok , but i don't know

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History.

Open the Reliability History window to show the full time span using days.

Take a screenshot that shows errors from a day/date when the computer froze, the following days, and then the next "7th day" with freezes.

Check warnings and information events for some common occurrence that repeats with a 7 day interval.

One inclusive screenshot. Try to include the error details below the time line for one of the days when freeze ups occurred.

Post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Jan 14, 2023
Look in Reliability History.

Open the Reliability History window to show the full time span using days.

Take a screenshot that shows errors from a day/date when the computer froze, the following days, and then the next "7th day" with freezes.

Check warnings and information events for some common occurrence that repeats with a 7 day interval.

One inclusive screenshot. Try to include the error details below the time line for one of the days when freeze ups occurred.

Post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).
View: https://imgur.com/a/96PDgoz

My System isn't in English, the critical is the Reboot after the freeze

Ralston18

Titan
What errors codes are listed for the Critical (Red Circle) Events?

I am also wondering about all those informational events related to Windows GameInput.

Look at the details for those entries; the details may or may not be helpful.

Could be a corrupted or buggy file. Look in Update History to discover is Windows is reporting any failed or problem updates.

Found this link:

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-microsoft-gameinput-is-crashing-the-pc/

Seem familar?

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Windows may find and fix something.

Jan 14, 2023
What errors codes are listed for the Critical (Red Circle) Events?

I am also wondering about all those informational events related to Windows GameInput.

Look at the details for those entries; the details may or may not be helpful.

Could be a corrupted or buggy file. Look in Update History to discover is Windows is reporting any failed or problem updates.

Found this link:

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-microsoft-gameinput-is-crashing-the-pc/

Seem familar?

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Windows may find and fix something.
In the critical event i have "unsafe reboot" , because when it happens i need to reboot the computer from the reboot button.
About the link i see he had problems during gaming and bsod, mine is different , never happened while gaming and no bsod , just windows stops to respond and i have to reboot, next time I'll try to record it with my smartphone , it could be easier to understand watching with your eyes.
I don't know if is just random , but It's happening more often , this time after just 3 days.
The information about GameInput Happens everytime i turn on the computer , it says "Reconfiguration completed"

sfc /scannow said everything is ok
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth it's ok
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth it's ok
DISM Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess should i perform it even if the scan said nothing is broken?

This Saturday I'll try memtest86