[SOLVED] Computer gets slow over time

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Is there a way to make my windows 10 2004 pc like fast it was in plugged into a ssd day one? I really don't want to do a system factory reset because I have to reinstall everything even with "keep my files" setting selected, also system reset breaks registry links so my programs wont work. Is there a cache of somesorts here? that I can clean up? I did ran a virus scan and clean up the disk drives by using disk cleanup but that didnt make any difference. I'm using High Peformance mode from power settings since long time almost since we got our ssd, I guess that also slowed down overtime,

Thanks

Solution
SSD is a 250GB one in total, there is 170GB free space in it, now came to mind, should I optimize it via windows 10's disk defraggler? There is two buttons, defrag for HDDs and Optimize for SSDs,
You don't need to do that, it's handled automatically.

The biggest thing I would say to keep the PC from "slowing down" is to be judicious about what you install, especially system software like drivers. For example, for driver packages and such, I don't install anything I don't find adds value. Motherboard utilities don't do it for me and I don't have GeForce Experience installed. And if I have no other choice but to install extra stuff, I see if it starts up automatically and disable it from doing so.

Another thing I do is I don't...
SSD is a 250GB one in total, there is 170GB free space in it, now came to mind, should I optimize it via windows 10's disk defraggler? There is two buttons, defrag for HDDs and Optimize for SSDs,
You don't need to do that, it's handled automatically.

The biggest thing I would say to keep the PC from "slowing down" is to be judicious about what you install, especially system software like drivers. For example, for driver packages and such, I don't install anything I don't find adds value. Motherboard utilities don't do it for me and I don't have GeForce Experience installed. And if I have no other choice but to install extra stuff, I see if it starts up automatically and disable it from doing so.

Another thing I do is I don't touch system configuration stuff (i.e., stuff that needs admin rights to change) unless I know exactly what it's doing and how it could affect things.

Solution