[SOLVED] Computer getting BSOD

Zombi3Status

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Hi, I built a computer for my nephew for Christmas. Everything was fine with it until about 2 weeks ago. He started getting BSOD when playing any of his games. These games were not even too graphic heavy(swtor and league of legends). After it BSOD it will randomly freeze or BSOD again soon after even if we are just sitting on the desktop screen. It will stop if we leave the PC turned off for a little while. I thought it might have been a heat issue and I downloaded some software to check that and it never went out of the ordinary before it crashed. Then I thought it could be driver issues so I updated them and it would still BSOD. Then I reinstalled windows 10 and updated the drivers as soon as it started up and it would still happen. Now I've been trying to install a different windows 10 iso and the computer is starting to freeze before I can even change the boot order to boot from the usb. Also sometimes the keyboard, mouse and monitor wont even get power when the computer is turned on. (keyboard and mouse have lights on them and they dont light up when plugged in) I left the computer off for an hour and that problem went away. I have also never been able to get the monitor to work if I plug it into the motherboard hdmi slot, it only works in the GPU hdmi slot. Im starting to think that maybe the motherboard is bad? I am not too experienced with this so I would appreciate some insight from others and their opinion on what could be wrong. Or suggestions that I can do. Thank you guys for your time!

Computer specs:

Intel Core i5-9600k 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z390 UD ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

FeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Silicon Power A55 1 TB 2.5" SSD

MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING X Video Card

NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Edit: I forgot all the different BSOD codes. They are always something different. Some are:
-DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
-SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
-KERNAL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
and most recently before I was able to even choose the version of windows to install from the boot disk is:
-PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

Last edited:
Solution
are any LED flashing or enabled while freezing or not powering on?

Did you connect the ATX12V power cable to the 8pin power slot to the motherboard and not only one 4pin plug?

Did you install the two RAM sticks into DIMM slots DDR4_B2 and A2?
B1 and A1 can be used as well

Did your nephew overclock the system? reset the CMOS by jumper

update the BIOS to version F10c within BIOS using Q-flash and the unzipped BIOS file on an USB flash drive
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-UD-rev-10/support#support-dl

the motherboard´s HDMI should work if you disconnect the GPU

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)
eventually install only one stick at a time to test, if it doesn´t boot...

Did you connect the ATX12V power cable to the 8pin power slot to the motherboard and not only one 4pin plug?

update the BIOS to version F10c within BIOS using Q-flash and the unzipped BIOS file on an USB flash drive

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)
eventually install only one stick at a time to test, if it doesn´t boot into dimm slot

check the SSD with the SP Toolbox Software of Silicon, update the firmware if available

Check the CPU socket of the motherboard for bend pins

Solution

Zombi3Status

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

When it is not loading up or when the computer freezes the motherboard and GPU are both lit up and one of the red warning lights on the corner of the motherboard.

Yes it is connected with the 8 pin power slot.

I tried rearranging the RAM and trying each individual stick in each slot and it still crashes.

No, for a younger guy he is pretty computer illiterate.

I tried to Q-flash but even BIOS will freeze. Sometimes its in the first 10 seconds, sometimes it will take 30 seconds so i'm not able to get anything done.

I see, that's good to know.

eventually install only one stick at a time to test, if it doesn´t boot into dimm slot

Same as with BIOS answer above.

check the SSD with the SP Toolbox Software of Silicon, update the firmware if available

Same as with BIOS answer above.

Check the CPU socket of the motherboard for bend pins

I checked and it looks fine. I also checked for bad capacitors on the motherboard and didn't notice any . I'm not sure what else I can do other than buy another motherboard and see if that fixes the problem or take it to a computer repair shop and pay for them to check it. I have contacted the manufacturer and am awaiting their response.

Zombi3Status

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
My brother in law was building a new computer so he sent me all his parts. I changed them around with my nephew's computer to try to troubleshoot the bad part. It ended up being bad RAM. It is a bit late for an update but i thought id give one anyway just in case you were interested. Thank you very much for your time!

Reactions: helpstar

TRENDING THREADS