Oct 28, 2009
ok, i had given this config to my friend last year to build an assembled comp,

AMD x4 635, 95w [c2 rev]
Asus M4A78LT-M-LE mobo [bios version 606 i guess]
500GB WD caviar green
Sony DRU 870S DVD writer
XFX HD 4650 512MB ddr2
2x 2GB Adata 1333mhz ram
Some cheap odssey PSU, wattage unknown:)

The comp ran with no issues for some 10 months. Then it started randomly getting stuck and rebooting, while he was using it, no specific pattern or timing, just at totally random times. Even at the bios page sometimes. For a few days it wud go away, n then it would come back again. It happens both on xp/win 7. He even reinstalled win7, but no luck, its not a software issue.
So,i had him run memtest for 1hr 15mins, nothing
Ran prime95 for 25 mins, nothing
Did stress the card coz he was gaming quite a lot, n it didn't show any signs of being defective

Last week i told him to take it back 2 the shop where he had assembled it, they kept it overnight, n returned it saying there was no problem with the system. yesterday he calls me up n tells me that his system gets stuck at the starting bios page itself, and doesn't go forward no matter what.

What do u think is the issue? i was planning to tell him to update his bios to the latest version(801), but i got scared about what would happen if it got stuck half way through the flashing process:) i'm pretty much clueless here, any suggestions??

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Flashing is pretty quick, but you are correct in that it will brick the mobo if it fails. Test the PC for a few days with a new (decently branded) PSU. A good PSU that doesn't cost too much that will run that system nicely is something like the Antec Earthwatts 430W, Corsair CX430, Gigabyte ODIN 585W, Antec HCG 400, etc. It's not worth risking your components because of a faulty, shitty PSU. A PSU like that can damage/destroy the motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc. etc. due to crap power delivery.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

well thats d problem here, he can't afford a new psu,and even if he did, we both dont noe how to fit it in :) looks like we gotta take it back again to the shop. :(

Anyway he said that the comp started after being stuck at the bios page for 15mins, and then it again ran flawlessly, and also that if he hibernates his system, it starts up properly.....thats why i thot the psu wasn't the culprit.

So if he has to buy a new psu, whats the minimum wattage he shud go for? is 450w enough?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
For that graphics card and setup a DECENT 450W would suffice, something like the Antec Earthwatts 430W or Corsair CX430. I would recommend a 500W PSU though, in the lines of Corsair CX500 or Antec HCG520.