Computer gives long beep on startup. Then nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltshaker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Computer system is as follows

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (venice)
MSI K8N Neo Platnium socket 939
80GB 7200RPM Western Digital IDE HD
16XDVD ROM Lite-ON IDE
XFX 7800GT 256MB
430 Watt Thermaltake PSU

The other day I had hooked up my computer to my LCD TV through D-SUB. My brother ran into the computer while it was turned on (I wasn't there at the time). This nearly knocked the computer over and caused it to rock back in forth violently until it finally remained motionless. During this time the LCD picture went a shade of yellow. Then no signal. Now I know the yellow shade of the screen was from the D-SUB come lose. I am curious as to whether my graphics card could of fallen partially out of the PCI-E slot some what scratching it or something awful.

However now when I try to start up my computer it begins the motion (Drives fire up, fans turn on, everythings go!), the screen remains black while the computer tries to POST. Then after maybe nearly 10 seconds it gives a long uninteruppted beep (about 2-3 seconds long). Then the monitor displays "no signal" and that is that. However all the fans in the computer continue to spin, including the one of my video card.

I am wondering what this could possibly mean? I have no 2nd system to try my graphics card, ram or anything else in at the moment (I can do this on the weekend however) so I was curious if that beep signified anything wrong with my computer in particular. My suspiscion is that the graphics card is toast (some parts of the "gold fingers" have been stripped off partially. However its been like this for a while now, I think it just got worse possibly) but I am obviously not sure.

If anyone could give me some insight into what might be the problem with my computer I would be more than enthused to listen. If there is anything I left out or wasn't specific enough about feel welcome to ask. Thanks to anyone who spent the time to read this!

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Try removing everything, including processor and ram, clearing the cmos, and rebooting with one item at a time. The first time needs to be a minimal install, with only processor, hdd, video and ram. Do this after letting your cmos clear.

randomizer

Champion
I'd put my money on the card coming loose. I was thinking RAM at first, and then smacked myself in the head for not remembering how hard it is to get RAM in, let alone out. The CPU may have come out too, but with the retention mechanism and the HS sitting on top of it, I don't think it could have come out far.

tlmck

Distinguished
It is saying "I'm old. I'm tired. Please let me die...."

But seriously, somewhere in the MB manual should be a list of beep codes, probably in the back appendix section. It should tell you what specifically is failing.

saltshaker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
How do I clear the CMOS without using the BIOS?

The pins on my monitor's DVI and VGA are both straight. I tried using a 2nd pair of each cable I had laying around just in case. No luck =*(

Unfortunately the mobo manual has no such list of beep codes. That was the first place I checked.

I am upgrading my mobo, cpu, and ram this weekend. So I guess I'll know then. If still nothing I'll just go out and buy a 8800GT I think. Unless ATI's new card is within the same price range and is off the walls perfomance wise.

I am worried that my PSU is ruined, or maybe my hard drive. I know its most likely the card, but I'm just getting paranoid.

ComputerCustomizer

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
Make sure that none of the pins are bent together. Two pins on one of my computers was bent, and it would beep, and then just sit there, or randomly turn on or off.

boydallen

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I have an MSI 7125 MoBo with a GeForce 8500 512MB video card. (Later I found this to be the "cheap" beginners card).

I have the exact same problem. One long beep, and no connection to the monitor. I tested another monitor, same thing.

before this started, I just reimaged my 80GB HD, and started up fine. But I found my gforce4 fan on the MoBo does not work well and I had to remove the MoBo to remove the fan and heatsink. They have these plastic clips on the back which I had to get to.

Anyway, after reattaching everything, I had the exact same problem. I reseated everything, including the processor. I cleaned the goop and used Arctic Silver 5 on it. I moved the RAM around (2 1GB Rams and alternately, 2 512 Rams, individually and in pairs) to test.

Everything worked great until I put it all back together. I am not sure now whether it is my video card or MoBo or burned out nforce4 chip where the small fan that is not working right is on.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.