Question Computer goes into safe mode and becomes unstable after enabling XMP in Bios

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Hello , I bought new RAMs and when I enable XMP in Bios then computer boots into safe mode and becomes unstable .
I have Intel i7 8700k running at stock speed ( 3.70GHz )
Motherboard : Asus ROG strix Z370-E
RAM : CMR32GX4M4C3600C18 which is rated at 3600MHz 32GB
I also ran the Memtest86 and there was 0 errors
I also looked at the Asus QLV list and the RAM in supported with this motherboard
Please any help would be appreciated !
I also need to mention before I get these new RAMs , I had this : CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 which was rated at 3000MHz ( XMP enabled ) and I had no issues with it
And no I am not using different RAM modules and running the lates Bios version , Thank you :)

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
So it's 4 sticks of 8 gb right? If it's 2 x 16 then you need to make sure you're using the right two slots (in the manual). Make sure it's all seated correctly. If it is, then....

1. Put your old ram back in and see if problems go away. That will certainly narrow things down.
  2. Is your PSU up to the task?
  3. Is you BIOS set correctly for the new RAM? There may be an automatic setting that will make the adjustment.

It's not out of the question you got some bad RAM. You may need to test each stick individually (consult manual for correct slot). Even RAM that gets 5 eggs on Newegg occasionally reports bad units. Here is what G.Skill rep said to one guy:

[begin quote] We can help with this issue. The RAM should at least boot up to default values, so test each module to see if it can. It is unlikely both sticks are completely dead the same exact way, so it is possible the problem lies elsewhere. The motherboard may be defective, the BIOS may be outdated, many possibilities for a system that simply does not boot. In any case, if you feel it is a problem with RAM, we will gladly replace it in hopes a new kit can work much better. For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT [end quote]

If your system works with the old RAM, that probably gets your mobo, cpu, and gpu off the hook. You'll know your four ram slots are working. That would leave a bad RAM module as a viable possibility, or alternatively, a problem in your BIOS settings. But as G.Skill support noted, the system should AT LEAST boot up with default values.

One thing to do is to look up your specific RAM at Newegg and see what complaints people have in the one star ratings. Sometimes they are very specific in describing symptoms and even are able to diagnose issues. And they're using the exact same product you are.

Good luck,
Greg N

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Thank you Greg for your reply.
Yes that is correct I am using 4 sticks of 8GB . My old RAM was also 4 sticks of 8GB. With my old RAM I was simply go to Bios and select profile 1 on XMP and enable it and everything was good. I am doing the same thing with my new RAM but it does not work . If I put back my old RAMs it works again . Also the new RAM is working fine without XMP enabled and I ran the Memtest86 with 0 issues , so I don't know if the sticks are faulty ( I bought them used anyway ) . My PSU is Corsair Gold 850 watt , I think the PSU should be able to handle it but not certain ! So the only thing left is settings in Bios , I set everything as default in Bios except a few PCI-e and SSD tweaks. I guess I need to try to set XMP manually and lets see what happens...Again thank you for you reply and I'll keep you updated on this subject.
Aryan

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Plan on running it 3200 maybe a bit higher depending on stability. You're not going to notice much of a difference in gaming past ~3200MHz CL14. Overclocking CPU may help.
Thank you for reply . Yes I was thinking maybe I need to overclock my CPU but some people say I don't have to , the RAM should work fine without CPU OC plus I don't really like to OC my CPU
And yes I huess I'll have to OC my RAM manually , that's what I'm going to do next

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Thank you Greg for your reply.
So the only thing left is settings in Bios
Aryan

actually I think you're at a point where you need to test that RAM one by one or two by two. Probably with the A2 B2 slots (the two away from the cpu, but you jump over a slot).

If RAM 1 and RAM 2 boot up, they're both good
If RAM 3 and RAM 4 don't boot up, one of them is bad

Swap Ram 2 for Ram 3 and test with Ram 4. If it doesn't boot, it's likely RAM 4.

Or test each RAM individually.

You might have gotten bad RAM. Greg N