Computer Goes to Black in Games

Jun 27, 2018
Good morning,

My computer has been having an issue over the past month or two with losing connection to the monitor while playing games. The games will start and play fine for a little bit, but the screen will eventually cut to black. I will be able to hear other people and sounds for a little bit, but eventually (in most cases), the computer crashes in about two minutes. A restart is the only way I have been able to get the computer to recover. Lately, it has taken several restarts to get the monitor to come back.

I have rolled back video drivers, used the most up to date drivers, and even reformatted the computer, and the issue is still present.

I feel the issue is video card since it is the monitor going out, but I'm not sure. I have an Alienware 51x with the following specs:
Windows 10
i7-4790K
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 960

Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated! I would consider myself a novice when it comes to some of the aspects of the computer, but will definitely try what is suggested to the best of my ability.

Solution
downlaod msi after burner make sure the gpu fans are working and the gpu temp not going so high the gpu is causing the shut down. download hardware info set it to logging and sensor to watch the 12v rail.