Question Computer Gone Crazy

vinestone1

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
My computer suddenly began acting very strangely. I was working on it for about 30 minutes and was searching something online (just generic Google search) when all of a sudden the bottom row of keys on my keyboard stopped working (the rest worked) and the left mouse button stopped working. Unplugged both, restarted the PC, completed a virus scan (Kaspersky), but nothing was found and nothing fixed it. Started PC in safe mode, but password wouldn't work so I reset Windows to default, keeping all of my personal files.

Seemed to work fine for a few minutes, but it began to lag and I noticed things were off. For instance, the"File Explorer" icon was missing from the taskbar and doesn't exist when searched for, I was unable to open "Personalization" or "Accounts" in settings (was later able to open them, but it took a long time to load), the down arrow key won't work in certain applications, etc. I re-downloaded Kaspersky and ran a full system scan, ran Malwarebytes, and ran Malwarebytes Anti-RootKit Beta, all came up as clean. Also ran the Window Memory Diagnostic Tool and all was fine. When running the virus scans, the computer was sluggish and laggy, but before this whole problem, it was always lightning fast, regardless of what programs I ran (see system specs below). Now the system seems sluggish (not excessively so, but not up to par) and I'm still discovering other things that are missing/ abnormal.

Any ideas? Is this likely a hardware or software issue?

I'm at a total loss...

System Specs:
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 970
  • Ram: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4
  • CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
  • Power Supply: 750 W
  • System Architecture: 64-bit

vinestone1

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Try opening an administrator command prompt and issue these two commands:
  • SFC /Scannow
  • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
You could also try running the troubleshooters (they're in the Control Panel).

I ran sfc /scannow which found errors, so I did the following: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth -> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth -> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

The process completed successfully. I don't seem to be having any significant issues right now, but the computer still seems to be running more sluggish than normal (could be my imagination).