Question Computer got hit with lightning ?

Jun 4, 2022
So I just built a new computer 4 days ago. Today we had a small storm and our house got hit. Everything is fine expect except for my computer and the internet. All my monitors, keyboard, and mouse work fine. But now my computer won't turn on. I have a aorus z690 pro DDR5 with a 12700k cpu and a fractal 760w psu. When I plug it in and there's power, my MB has a red power LED lit but nothing else turns on ?

D

Deleted member 362816

I'm guessing it would be my motherboard if the fans and a lightbar flicker on and off

Hard to say what it is without testing each part by itself. If you had a Lan cord plugged in I would bet the motherboard. If you had the power supply not hooked up to a surge protector with a correct ground could be everything.

D

Deleted member 362816

I did have a Lan in and our internet isn't working anymore ether so it probably is the motherboard

True but the question is if it hit the motherboard it could just be the mobo or everything hooked up to it, Power will follow till it finds a ground.

D

Deleted member 362816

I had everything plugged into a power bar that's grounded and protected and everything else works

In that case most likely from the Lan port that being said It may just be the motherboard but could be everything there is no way to tell without testing each part on a diff system.

D

Deleted member 362816

So I took the mobo out and there are no signs of damage

I understand you are frustrated. Surge damage won't always show (black marks) like people think it would etc. Your only option is to test each part to see what is good and bad. There is nothing else I can advise or tell you to do at this point. If you do not have a way to test these items in a diffrent system I would advise to find a reputable PC repair/sales shop near you. Dear lord don't take it to Bestbuy lol.

Jun 4, 2022
I had a friend who helped me and he says the mobo is *. Sorry for bothering. Also thanks for the help. Yea I'm frustrated just because I only built it 4 days ago and the chances of that happens are so very low. I won't be taking it in to best buy lol I don't even have one close by. BTW on the mobo power switch led was on but the display next to it doesn't turn on anymore so that's how my friend knew it was *. So like both you and him said I'll just insurance claim it all and build it again

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 362816

I had a friend who helped me and he says the mobo is <Mod Edit>. Sorry for bothering. Also thanks for the help. Yea I'm frustrated just because I only built it 4 days ago and the chances of that happens are so very low. I won't be taking it in to best buy lol I don't even have one close by. BTW on the mobo power switch led was on but the display next to it doesn't turn on anymore so that's how my friend knew it was *. So like both you and him said I'll just insurance claim it all and build it again

Dang to bad it killed that RTX 3090ti in your PC :p

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just built a new computer 4 days ago. Today we had a small storm and our house got hit. Everything expect for my computer and our internet is fine. All my monitors, keyboard, and mouse work fine. But now my computer won't turn on. I have a aorus z690 pro DDR5 with a 12700k cpu and a fractal 760w psu. When I plug it in and there's power my MB has a red power led lit but nothing else turns on.
If there is a lightning strike nearby and the machine is connected in any way all bets are off.

Anything and everything could be bad.