Question Computer green screens after a sec of login, sometime it comes back and then it green screens again. Usually blacks out after and I have to reboot pc

Feb 15, 2022
Case: TT H200 TG Snow RGB
Power Supply: 650 W gigabtye
Motherboard: PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES
CPU: amd ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: 16gb G.skill ddr4 3200
Graphics Card: Gigabtye GeForce RTX 3060 TI 8GB GDDR6
Storage: WB Blue NVME 1tb

I have tried different hdmi cables, and dp cable. Only thing different is when i used DP cable it black screen instead of green screen.

Feb 15, 2022
Make and model monitor? ( I could not make it out.) Age, condition?

Do you have another known working monitor or even a TV to swap in?

Just as as a mean to eliminate the monitor as the possible culprit.

The monitor is msi mag271r, age is like 1 year and condition should be pretty good still
I have a second monitor benq and when i plug that in instead of green screen it black screens and loads back in.

Stuff i have tried -
switching ram out same thing still happens

i have unplug gpu and replug it in because i thought it might be loose or something, i think it green screen after start up but was fine for 1-2 days?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
First: manually download the applicable GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Second: check the monitor manufacturer's websites. Some monitors have their own drivers. Try the monitor's driver (if available) instead of generic Microsoft drivers.

Feb 15, 2022
First: manually download the applicable GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Second: check the monitor manufacturer's websites. Some monitors have their own drivers. Try the monitor's driver (if available) instead of generic Microsoft drivers.

I have not tried the first option have tried second. How do i install the GPU driver via website if it keeps blacking out?

Feb 15, 2022
Have no idea if I did anything to fix it or not, have rebooted it many times now and it still works . What I did was

After i plug gpu into another pci slot it worked, so install a previous version driver from the gpu's website. Then I reinstall driver from nvidia geforce experience and it works?

Ralston18

Titan
Could have been a problem PCI slot, an out of date driver, a buggy/ corrupted driver, or maybe just simply the wrong driver.

With the system now booting and working take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

You may see some pattern of errors and warnings that were captured when screen problems first started and have now ended with the problem fixed.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the time line format may make any associated errors stand out.

Feb 15, 2022
Could have been a problem PCI slot, an out of date driver, a buggy/ corrupted driver, or maybe just simply the wrong driver.

With the system now booting and working take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

You may see some pattern of errors and warnings that were captured when screen problems first started and have now ended with the problem fixed.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and the time line format may make any associated errors stand out.
I was able to pull up Reliability History but have no idea how to read them should I screenshot it?

Ralston18

Titan
Hold on a screenshot for the time being.

The following link should be helpful:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...liability-monitor-to-identify-software-issues

You can easily find other similar links as well.

Hopefully the root problem will be identifiable via some Critical or Warning error(s).

Look for some patterns in the red, yellow, and blue icons with respect to the date line.

Especially some pattern that corresponds with the occurrence/appearance of the green/black screens.

You can indeed click on View technical details for any given error. The information (full disclosure here) therein may or may not be helpful.

If anything, look for the "Faulting application name" as shown within Description.

And if there is some constant error appearing then screenshot that error description.

Feb 15, 2022
Hold on a screenshot for the time being.

The following link should be helpful:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...liability-monitor-to-identify-software-issues

You can easily find other similar links as well.

Hopefully the root problem will be identifiable via some Critical or Warning error(s).

Look for some patterns in the red, yellow, and blue icons with respect to the date line.

Especially some pattern that corresponds with the occurrence/appearance of the green/black screens.

You can indeed click on View technical details for any given error. The information (full disclosure here) therein may or may not be helpful.

If anything, look for the "Faulting application name" as shown within Description.

And if there is some constant error appearing then screenshot that error description.
I get stuff like this but have no idea where to start

Ralston18

Titan
That is helpful.

Notice all of the red icons. They started appearing (per the screenshot on January 30th

Click that column and see what errors are listed. Do you remember anything you did or something that happened January 30 th?

It all seems to have started with Windows "not properly shutdown". That could simply be because the PSU is starting to falter and fail.

There are many hardware errors along with more "not properly shutdown" and "stopped working".

Numerous errors and increasing numbers of errors are an indication of PSU problems.

Try this:

Power down, unplug, open the case. If you are not comfortable doing so on your own, then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage. Bare conductor showing, melted wire insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, swollen leaking components, Loose screws or brackets, any sign of damage. Pay close attention to the I/O ports - inside and out.

It could well be just something has worked loose and intermittently/randomly causing a power loss to one or more components.

Another possibility is that an initial power loss corrupted files.

For now, just focus on the physical hardware.

Feb 15, 2022
That is helpful.

Notice all of the red icons. They started appearing (per the screenshot on January 30th

Click that column and see what errors are listed. Do you remember anything you did or something that happened January 30 th?

It all seems to have started with Windows "not properly shutdown". That could simply be because the PSU is starting to falter and fail.

There are many hardware errors along with more "not properly shutdown" and "stopped working".

Numerous errors and increasing numbers of errors are an indication of PSU problems.

Try this:

Power down, unplug, open the case. If you are not comfortable doing so on your own, then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage. Bare conductor showing, melted wire insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, swollen leaking components, Loose screws or brackets, any sign of damage. Pay close attention to the I/O ports - inside and out.

It could well be just something has worked loose and intermittently/randomly causing a power loss to one or more components.

Another possibility is that an initial power loss corrupted files.

For now, just focus on the physical hardware.
This pc is brand new got it last week so prob not dust or debris.

The not properly shutdown is probably from me force shutting it down as it is the only way to restart the computer.

However I been wonder if the GPU is not fully plug in or not, because it seems to be stuck on the support thing where there is a screw to secure it. I will try to plug it in with my old setup.

And I am kinda comfortable so I will do that after your reply, should i reinstall windows first to see if it fixes this?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I would hold off on a Windows reinstall. Doing that may be counter-productive as way too many things would change along with all sorts of necessary updates and so forth.

Is the GPU sagging? The GPU should be fully seated and squarely in place. Does the GPU move/flex with fans going on/off or changing speeds?

Support bracket? Movement could be causing a short somewhere.

Do you have the missing blanks to fill the gap shown in Photo 2?

I cannot really see anything in the first photo but if you can see the GPU touching somewhere or otherwise being "stuck" to where it cannot be fully seated then that needs to be corrected.

Use a bright flashlight to get a good look at everything.

I would remove the GPU, check the slot for debris and then gently reseat the GPU again. Slowly rock into place and secure. Remember to unplug the cables beforehand.

And, being a new PC there is a good chance that something is not fully connected or seated.

No one wants to force a connection so what feels tight and in place may not truly be tight and in place.

Gently rock, wiggle, etc. to ensure connections are snug. Sometimes unplugging/replugging or unseating/reseating a couple of times will end up with simply a better fit and feel when full connectivity is in place.

Feb 15, 2022
I would hold off on a Windows reinstall. Doing that may be counter-productive as way too many things would change along with all sorts of necessary updates and so forth.

Is the GPU sagging? The GPU should be fully seated and squarely in place. Does the GPU move/flex with fans going on/off or changing speeds?

Support bracket? Movement could be causing a short somewhere.

Do you have the missing blanks to fill the gap shown in Photo 2?

I cannot really see anything in the first photo but if you can see the GPU touching somewhere or otherwise being "stuck" to where it cannot be fully seated then that needs to be corrected.

Use a bright flashlight to get a good look at everything.

I would remove the GPU, check the slot for debris and then gently reseat the GPU again. Slowly rock into place and secure. Remember to unplug the cables beforehand.

And, being a new PC there is a good chance that something is not fully connected or seated.

No one wants to force a connection so what feels tight and in place may not truly be tight and in place.

Gently rock, wiggle, etc. to ensure connections are snug. Sometimes unplugging/replugging or unseating/reseating a couple of times will end up with simply a better fit and feel when full connectivity is in place.
Yea im thinking the support brackets are keeping it from going all the way in, it does not look saggy but I will do that first .

Another thing.

There is also this error, I was looking for more information about this error and apparently it might be because of ASUS Armoury Crate? I will try to uninstall that but I do not know if i should becasue it controls all of my case fans and cpu I think.

Oh I just remebered, I uninstall Asus Armory Crate, and I think thats when the green screens started or something, but I reinstalled it after so maybe that was the problem?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
You may end up needing to uninstall Armory Crate just as a matter of elimination.

Determine if the problem ends. Download the newest version and try again.

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and other computer component User Guide/Manuals to determine what is/what all may be controlling the fans.

Or trying to....

You may need to disable lots of whistles and bells for awhile and see if the green screens etc. stop. Then add back the whistles and bells one at a time allowing time between each one. If the green screens reoccur then you will know what app or configuration even may be the culprit.

= = = =

Another suggestion is that there may be some buggy or corrupted files.

Try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Feb 15, 2022
You may end up needing to uninstall Armory Crate just as a matter of elimination.

Determine if the problem ends. Download the newest version and try again.

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and other computer component User Guide/Manuals to determine what is/what all may be controlling the fans.

Or trying to....

You may need to disable lots of whistles and bells for awhile and see if the green screens etc. stop. Then add back the whistles and bells one at a time allowing time between each one. If the green screens reoccur then you will know what app or configuration even may be the culprit.

= = = =

Another suggestion is that there may be some buggy or corrupted files.

Try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central
It was working and then I got this bug.