Computer hangs upon resolution change.

Zilvinass

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Hello.

I have encountered a weird type of issue. I seem to be able to use my computer for a few minutes on average, then it hangs, both of my monitors are black and say "No Signal".
One thing I noticed is that I seem to be able to use my computer for longer periods of time when i'm using a low resolution. When I start installing my graphics drivers, when the resolution changes to 1920x1080 my computer hangs and the monitors go black. I have a clean copy of Windows 8.1 Professional. I am able to hear sound and things like that when my monitors go black. I am not able to use my keyboard when it does so as well, not sure if it's related.
So far I am writing this on the 1280x1024 resolution, with both of monitors being on duplicate (don't have the choice to change that either way.) and have no display drivers installed and I believe i'm using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver. I tried numerous times reinstalling the AMD Catalyst Control Center or whatever it's called, but it keeps changing to the 1920x1080 resolution and my monitors go black.

Not sure if I actually made sense by what I wrote, but I really hope that you understand and will be able to assist in solving this for me.

Reyaz123

Admirable
Boot into safe mode
Adjust your display settings to your default settings
Reboot normally
Now you can adjust your resolution and see your monitors again

If the monitors were working fine before you installed drivers, I suggest using system restore to go back to a time before you installed those drivers

Zilvinass

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

That's what I did when I found out that the drivers were the problem. Tried installing the drivers once again (dunno why.) and it crashed as I said when the resolution changed. I was forced to do the same process you said above and now i'm able to use my computer freely again, just with a low resolution. What I want to know is how to fix the problem that it crashes upon resolution change, i'm not able to install my graphics drivers.
Also, when the monitors go black, the fan goes mad.

Reyaz123

Admirable

Find the model number of your computer (this can be found in msinfo32), locate the official webpage with the drivers for it, and try installing the updated chipset drivers (Set a restore point before doing this just in case)

Zilvinass

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

Installed the newest chipset drivers and then tried installing the graphics drivers once again but had no luck.