Computer hard crashing (MOBO bought today)

Jonas Vandy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I recently bought a new motherboard today in hopes of fixing a HDD issue but that's not my problem. I got the M5A97 and now it is hard crashing. I got more RAM and upon researching, I saw that it may be bad RAM. I installed my old RAM that I know works and it's still giving me problems. I can sometimes login to my account for a couple seconds and then it crashes. Most of the time won't even make it past POST. I know that the BIOS is current build and it is not overclocked in any manner. My current setup is as follows

ASUS M5A97 (previous was the MSi G43)
Seasonic s12g 550w
AMD FX 6300
Radeon HD 6970
Crucial 500GB SSD
G Skill Ripjaws (DDR3 1333 2x4GB)

and the RAM I bought was EVGA (DDR3 2133 2x4GB)

Assuming it might be a bad MoBo
Please help ASAP, if possible, I would like to avoid wiping my SSD

UPDATE: the BIOS is trying to overclock my CPU to 3.8 Ghz. when I just want it at core speed (3.5 Ghz)

Jonas Vandy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

It was an AM3+ board. Using the same CPU I was using

What BIOS is on the ASUS now?? There's a sticker up the top of it, the last 4 numbers is the BIOS thats on it.

Thats if you havent updated it yet

The ASUS needs BIOS 1605 to support that CPU. This is the latest BIOS

FX-6300(FD6300WMW6KHK),3.5GHz,6C,95W,rev.C0,AM3+

Jonas Vandy

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

I'm not that wet behind the ears haha. After putting in the old board to get the files I needed and reinstalled the new board it seemed to stabilize but I decided to do a clean install anyway and it seems to work just fine. Fixed my other issue (computer occasionally freezing and the popping back up as if nothing happened) as far as I know and that extra 8 GB of RAM was well needed. Appreciate the help, I guess I just needed to hear what I didn't want to be told.