Question Computer hard-freezing when gaming

Jan 2, 2021
Hello.

I need help to understand what my issue if with the current PC as it freezes in some games, mainly CoD: Warzone. Its a hard freeze, with sound getting stuck and Im forced to force a restart via power button. It appears to be random, some nights I can play a few games and others I have a freeze every 1½-2hrs or so.

Specs:
Asus Z370-A latest bios
8700k OC 5Ghz
Samsung 850 500GB (Good health)
6800XT - NEW
860W power supply - NEW Fractal Design plat
16GB 4000mhz

I have tried:
  • Fresh installed windows
  • Newest drivers, upgrading every time there is a new one
  • Memtest86 no issues
  • Upgraded powersupply from 650W to 860W
  • Reseat CPU as "B" memory channels didnt work, found a pin that was oddly bent its not 100% but channels are working again
  • Stock bios settings
  • Downclocking RAM to 3200mhz still loaded voltage
  • Downclocking CPU to standard
  • Undervolting GPU and slightly downclocking it

Before I upgraded the GPU to 6800XT I had a 2070 Super and even if I didnt play as much as I do today (as new hardware sparks gaming intensivity) I NEVER had this issue even once in Warzone, even with "faulty memory channel issues" that wasnt solved back then but its not like the GPU is working hard in Warzone, it jumps around 70% usage and 2000mhz clockspeed as its a CPU-demanding game. Unfortunaly I sold that GPU as I was thinking this worked as intended when I jumped in and out of games and not really ran a few games after eachother.

I have a custom loop on the CPU and its delidded so its never over 65c when gaming. GPU gets hot, but its a hot card according to reviewers, many reporting hotspots of 95c+ and I have the same temperatures.

Im at a point of wanting to "throw money at the problem" but with todays lack of available hardware I cant even do that to rule out parts. Anyone having tips on what I should be doing?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By fresh installed, did you recreate your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? Can you state what BIOS version you're on at the moment for your motherboard? What aftermarket cooler are you using to cool your processor? Speaking of parts, which slots are the sticks of ram populating on the board and what was the make and model of your older 650W PSU?

Jan 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By fresh installed, did you recreate your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? Can you state what BIOS version you're on at the moment for your motherboard? What aftermarket cooler are you using to cool your processor? Speaking of parts, which slots are the sticks of ram populating on the board and what was the make and model of your older 650W PSU?

Hello, sorry for the late reply.

I did create windows install using usb-stick from Microsoft, probably .ISO file. Same USB Ive used previously with my older GPUs, I have a key if that matters.
Bios is 2401 on the MB.
EK Velocity block.
B1 and A1

Same brand, Fractal Design 650w gold.

I have been running Prime95 and it crashed on all overclocks with AVX on so I decided to turn it down stock. Since that I have been playing and its been without issues, HOWEVER, up until just now.

Now it froze again, audio gets stuck and having to restart manually. I have used Prime95 for 3 hrs without issues with AVX on stock clock, maximum temp is 68c, no errors and no warnings. Im beginning to lose it mentally, I was so sure it was a CPU/Mem-issue after Prime95 not running properly and its been a few days without crashes and now Im here again.

Could this be a temperature problem on the GPU causing this hard crashes?

I have a Lian Li Dynamic with the GPU vertical, two 120mm fans directly under it sucking in air. I mean the card gets pretty hot and I dont know whats the acceptable temperature. When I run prime95 my water temp is around +10c from delta but when I play games, the outtake is pretty hot.

Or - could it be the socket pins even if the ram-slots are working and it can run Prime95 with AVX without any error/warning?

Edit: Fans setup is 2x120 pushing OUT of a 240mm rad top. 2x120 pushing IN thru a 240mm rad at the side, 2x120 sucking in under the GPU. Maybe its better to flip the around so it pushes out more hot air from the GPU since its no blower style anymore?

Sure Im planning on getting a block for it too when I move to bigger radiators, but I dont want to spend those kind of money when I have this issue and not knowing what the problem is.

Jan 6, 2021
I have the exact same problem in warzone, but only in the first match of the day. The PC freezes midgame, force restart and no problems for the rest of the day. Then next day the story repeats. Benchmarks runs are smooth. Really dont know what to do.

madchemist83

Distinguished
How far from the side panel is your gpu ? If it's too close you might not getting enough air. Even with two extra fans on the bottom.
I'm trying to understand your setup with extra rad blowing in. What is the rad connected to, the one that's on the side ?

Jan 2, 2021
I have the exact same problem in warzone, but only in the first match of the day. The PC freezes midgame, force restart and no problems for the rest of the day. Then next day the story repeats. Benchmarks runs are smooth. Really dont know what to do.

That sucks to hear. Im the only one among my friends that have any issue with the game and among all the different dev errors, directX crashed and now this it gets very frustrating when its a BR games that focus om survival to the end. Its not like I can ”just log in again” and you havent lost anything.

How far from the side panel is your gpu ? If it's too close you might not getting enough air. Even with two extra fans on the bottom.
I'm trying to understand your setup with extra rad blowing in. What is the rad connected to, the one that's on the side ?

It far from the side, about in the middle of the case. I dont know if the card is very hot actually as I checked hotspot, overall the GPU is around 73-75c with hotspot 93-95 but thats when Im stress testing it.

I checked temps while gaming and CPU is 55c and GPU 60c.

Did another Prime95 for 4hrs Blend mode, no warnings nor errors. Sat and pushed 4 runs of Superposition ”Extreme” after eachother, nothing.

Im so mad I ordered new AMD cpu/mb/memory but I need to figure this out somehow. Im tempted to bring the motherboard into shop as I still have 1 year of warranty on it, however its alot harder to replicate this issue without overclocking the CPU but when I dont get errors in Prime95 and it still crashes, whats even left to check?

My loop is distro-pump-cpu-240rad-240rad and back to the distro. Its just that I cant have the rad in the bottom of the case while having vertical GPU so its just how they are mounted. Water temps is 36c when running Prime95 and thats 11c over indoor temp so it seems acceptable.

Jan 6, 2021
I think that my issues are the Warzone, its a buggy game. But its a brand new PC, so its very frustrating to dont know what to do. I am pretty sure its no Hardware related.

Jan 2, 2021
I think that my issues are the Warzone, its a buggy game. But its a brand new PC, so its very frustrating to dont know what to do. I am pretty sure its no Hardware related.

I understand. I would freak out if its the same with new parts when they arrive. However I also know that I have some money in my current setup and want to sell it but not knowing what the problem is or even if there is an actual problem makes me reluctant to do so but having it collect dust isnt an option either.

Not sure if I should go for trying to get a new mobo as the pin is really strange. Its not bent or "broken", it looks so far off from the others. Like short and fat.