Question Computer hard resets during graphically intense games.

Feb 24, 2019
###Troubleshooting Help:

Parts list

yNufYxr.png

PSU -- Platinum 850w Seasonic

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

2 weeks after installing a new motherboard and GPU (7970 -> EVGA 1070) my computer started doing a hard reset (like the power cord is being pulled). I found the pattern that it tends to start doing it when playing games that are graphically intense, about 20 min into the game is when they usually happen.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.
  • Left the computer on all day with no restarts or issues. But Starting and playing a game after that is when the resets start.
  • I rolled back the Nvidia drivers and Windows updates but they still reset when playing games.
  • I played VR and the resets happened all the same. But I played FTL and there were no issues.
  • Ive removed the GPU and played R6:Siege and had no resets after an hour. I put the GPU back in a different PCI-E slot(i was using an unmarked PCI-E slot and the other one is labeled 3.0) and played VR and Apex for 2.5 hours before there was a reset.
  • Ive used monitoring software to check if the voltage draw from the GPU was spiking but it is at normal levels.
  • Ive use monitoring software to log the heat levels and all the temperatures are in normal ranges
Provide any additional details you wish below.

I have no way of testing if my PSU is failing, but from the look of things id guess the gpu is drawing to much power and my failing platinum 850w seasonic PSU is failing after 6 years

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019
with a new motherboard. you will NEED to reinstall win10 to avoid any software issues, like the ones you describe
Im running win 8.1

edit: I am downloading windows 8.1 disk image and im going to run repair or something on it once its done downloading

Put the old GPU back in and see if it resets.

My old motherboard was bricked and I suspect that my older gpu was the issue so i am nervous to plug it back in

Last edited: