[SOLVED] Computer has 8GB installed but is only showing 3.96

benjohnw

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
For anyone that can assist me It would be very much appreciated. I currently am having an issue with my computer and not being able to access the Full RAM
specs -
AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (six thread 3.5ghz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4 GB VRAM (2gb RAM I believe)
Kingston hyperxfury 8GB ddr3 1866 (2 x 4)
gigabyte ga-970a-ds3p (mother board)
Windows 10 (64)

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated as not really sure what the issue is, I have seen some other forums saying about XMP compatibility however some other forums have suggested its other issues.

If there are compatibility issues, upgrade suggestions would also be helpful as looking to make a couple good upgrades to the existing machine here and there for anywhere between 200 - 300 pounds

Solution
Do you have the User Manual for the motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ds3p_v.2.x_e.pdf

(Verify that I found the correct model and version.)

Start by doublechecking the supported RAM modules and accompanying installation configurations.

Read the notes, the "fine print", and (as is often presented in the manual) go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website for current information regarding supported RAM modules and configuration.

You should also review through the applicable User Guides/Manuals for all other components. Both existing and any upgraded components being considered.

Most RAM manufacturer's also have searchable databases to help identify compatible RAM with respect to...

Ralston18

Titan

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ds3p_v.2.x_e.pdf

Start by doublechecking the supported RAM modules and accompanying installation configurations.

Read the notes, the "fine print", and (as is often presented in the manual) go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website for current information regarding supported RAM modules and configuration.

You should also review through the applicable User Guides/Manuals for all other components. Both existing and any upgraded components being considered.

Most RAM manufacturer's also have searchable databases to help identify compatible RAM with respect to any given motherboard. Check those sites as well and look for a consensus regarding the RAM you have and/or may need.

Details matter.

Solution

benjohnw

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Thanks you for both of your replys, you are correct

Most RAM manufacturer's also have searchable databases to help identify compatible RAM with respect to any given motherboard. Check those sites as well and look for a consensus regarding the RAM you have and/or may need.

Details matter.

Thanks you for such a quick reply and sorry about missing all the details necessary as I am not really computer savvy. However that does appear to be the same model and version of motherboard.

Ralston18

Titan
Which two memory slots did you use or are being used for the two RAM modules?

Check the Motherboard's User Manual and verify that each RAM module is correctly installed per the instructions on physically numbered Pages 4, 6, and 8.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Check the configuration and reseat both modules.

If that does not work, test each module independently to see if each works just as a 4 GB module.