Computer has been acting slow, RAM issue, failing HDD, or something else?

Veron28

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Hello everyone,
Around a month ago I began to have issues with my computer. Whenever I used a process heavy program or game it would begin to act up. At that point, I was only experiencing short hang ups and a slightly slower system response time, nothing that really seemed all that serious. Recently though, it has begun to get much worse, whenever I use a program it isn't uncommon for my pc to freeze at random for up to 7 minutes at a time, I have even had a couple of BSODs. On top of this my pc slows down to a snail’s pace whenever I shut down a program that has maxed out the systems memory. Now my main suspicion is my ~7 year old WD HDD. Now I know it probably wasn’t the best idea to install my OS on a (at the time) 5 year old HDD, but at the time I didn’t really have any other option since I was fairly low on funds. I am planning on upgrading my pc with a new SSD as a replacement for my ancient HDD as well as a couple 4gb sticks of ram, but I just want to make sure that I am making a well informed decision and spending my money on the right items.

Just in case I have put my system specs in the spoiler bellow.
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI z97-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)
Memory: Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
PSU: CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W

dork_police

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hi Veron,

It might be that your hard drive is on its way out - there are some nifty tools out there that can tell you the health of your HDD.

You can download Crystal Disk Info - which will tell you whether your hard drive is in "good condition" or "warning" etc.

https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

On a side note - you will not regret upgrading to an SSD, you will experience a big upgrade in performance, boot times etc.

As for the RAM sticks - if you are maxing out your RAM, then yes - you should get more RAM, if you are not maxing out your RAM, then it shouldn't be necessary.

Hope this helps.

Veron28

Reputable
May 13, 2015

Thanks for the help police!
I have tried out the app and so far it shows that my HDD is still in good condition, still the app looks useful so i'll continue to fiddle with it to see if I get anything different. Odds are I am probably not using it correctly lol.