Computer has been restarting randomly for months

Tosai

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Okay so before I start, this is going to be a long post.

Hello all, I hope you will be my guardian angels, because I need one.

My computer has been restarting and shutting down randomly for months now. Pretty much since I upgraded most of my hardware.

Here's what I got right now:

Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING DDR3 2133 ATX AMD Motherboard (Feb 2016)
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (Feb 2016)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 (Feb 2016)
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 760 TI (2014)
PSU: Diablotek 600w Power Supply (2010 or so)
Display: 2 random monitors, one VGA, one HDMI
1 SSD (where OS and main games are located) (2013 or so)
2 SATA Drives (just extra room) (old)
2 USB Drives (just extra room) (old)

From what I can tell it happens whenever I do more than just browse the internet, but I'm not ruling that out because honesty I can't remember. I do know it happens a ton when I play games.

Here's what I've done:

• Read lots and lots of forum posts.
    Temp tests on CPU and GPU (Both normal, on the cool side of the spectrum)
    Stress tests resulting in no crash
    CHKDSK, no problems
    Memtest, no problems
    Looked up nearly every event log that my computer has posted (and not lost), nothing worked really
    Uninstalled 2 out of 3 sound devices (that were never used so idk why there were there)
    Updated all my drivers
    Completely formatted and reinstalled OS (from Win10 to Win7)
    Redid all the above things after a fresh install.
    Flashed the already up to date BIOS with the same up to date version
    Power compatibility test http://outervision.com/b/SaVdyQ

Programs I've used for various things:

OCCT (To attempt to test the PSU, I don't have a multimeter)
The only thing that stuck out really was it ran 13.5v on the 12v rail, but that's most likely the software
HD Tune-Pro
No problems there
GPUID HWMonitor
No problems
FurMark (stress test)
No problems, no crashes, normal temperature readings
HeavyLoad (stress test)
No problems
Speccy
No problems
OpenHardwareMonitor
No problems, normal temps, normal fan rate, etc
CCleaner
Something I normally have to clean things up. Still didn't help anyway.
BlueScreenView
Didn't do anything because it just crashes, doesn't BSOD
DisplayDriverUninstaller
Forces the driver to uninstall, reinstalled an older version (previously had up to date), nothing new

Here's the thing that absolutely baffled me: Yesterday when this happened again, it also caused my router to lose connection (not my modem though). Completely unrelated things acting up at the same time. No other device can connect to the internet unless I reboot the router, or get the computer to go into Windows. So today, like the smart guy I am, realized it must be the surge protector! The link between two worlds! So I moved my router to a different area. Well my internet stays fine now, but not so much the computer. Plugged the computer directly into the outlet, with one monitor. Seemingly worked fine but I didn't have enough time to really test it.

So this afternoon on my way home I got a new surge protector and hooked it all up. Now it's just completely shutting down, no more restarting (no BSOD). None of this had happened before I upgraded my parts however. I just coughed it up to Windows 10 being a jerk.

So my thinking now is one of the following:
Either my PSU is bad (prolly, but I wanna know for sure before I buy one)
Or my outlet is screwed.
Or something I bought is faulty and I'm out a lot of money

I can post my DxDiag and any events that I recently searched for you guys. I looked around and that's all I can remember right now, let me know if you need any other information!

(I'm very close to maxing out my credit card and buying a super rig lmao)

Solution
Wel i hope that it will solve your problem.It has enough watts on the +12voltrail so for that should it be fine.
Don't know how Amazon works so i thought that unopened packages should be able to be returned,but that costs extra money in return fees.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unfortunately, with general problems that you're unable to pin on a specific part, you never really know for sure ahead of time if a particular part is the issue. My inclination is to strongly suspect the PSU - it doesn't quite match the behavior of your VRMs overheating (and you picked a correct motherboard for the 125W CPU anyway), it's not popping BSODs, and to be brutally frank, your PSU is best used as a paperweight. Plus, given it happened when you likely upgraded to a power-hungry CPU that really needs stable, clean power, that's my best guess as to the culprit.

Tosai

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Alright that's what I was thinking. Went and ordered a 725w psu last night just in case.

Hopefully that solves it because I'm gonna be really sad if it's something else lol.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Uggh. Power supplies are guilty until proven innocent; never buy a power supply unless it or the platform it's on have been examined with the proper equipment. If the review isn't written by someone doing this, then it's worthless. Consumer reviews for PSUs essentially consist of seeing if it runs or not.

Sentey sells some good power supplies on some very good Super Flower platforms. This is not one of them, this one is an uncertified PSU made by Sinyang Electronics. Unless there's some specific short-term rebate or overstock, a 725 PSU selling for $45 is like seeing someone offer a twenty-dollar bill for sale for $12.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

And NCIX even has the EVGA B2 at $48.99 due to a short-term $30 mail-in rebate.

Tosai

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

It's shipped already sadly :/ so I guess I'll see how it runs when I get it on Tuesday.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The problem is that you *can't* see how it runs unless you have the proper professional equipment. You can't observe ripple suppression or voltage regulation or a lack of emergency protections for your equipment or the slow damage that these things can do to your electrolytic capacitors.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Wel i hope that it will solve your problem.It has enough watts on the +12voltrail so for that should it be fine.
Don't know how Amazon works so i thought that unopened packages should be able to be returned,but that costs extra money in return fees.

Solution

Tosai

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

Yea I can return it after I receive it. But hey, if it works that's all I care about really. I've had my current one since I first made the computer 5-6 years ago lol.