Question Computer has no display then turns off but turns on fine the second time I press the power on switch

voucherfort

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Hi, I'm fixing up an old system and I upgraded it with an ssd.

I've noticed that this happens consistently. The first time I power it on from a cold boot, there's no display and it eventually shuts off. The second time I press the power button, it boots fine without any issues. I'm running windows 10 with the latest updates and 20.9.1 of Radeon's driver. Never overclocked anything.

Here are the specs:
ADATA 480GB SSD
2x4GB RAM
AMD R9 Nano 4GB
990 FX Killer Motherboard bios 1.60
AMD FX 8320 processor

Hi, I'm fixing up an old system and I upgraded it with an ssd.

I've noticed that this happens consistently. The first time I power it on from a cold boot, there's no display and it eventually shuts off. The second time I press the power button, it boots fine without any issues. I'm running windows 10 with the latest updates and 20.9.1 of Radeon's driver. Never overclocked anything.

Here are the specs:
ADATA 480GB SSD
2x4GB RAM
AMD R9 Nano 4GB
990 FX Killer Motherboard bios 1.60
AMD FX 8320 processor

Hi,

this is likely an issue either with the PSU or motherboard... what PSU do you have? Powering on the first time likely charges up all the caps / warms things up, which then allow the machine to start up on the second attempt. The problem with this type of fault is it will probably get worse over time as components continue to degrade. Likely culprits are failing electrolytic capacitors either in the PSU or on the main board.

If the PSU is low quality and / or very old that is probably a good place to start....

Reactions: voucherfort

voucherfort

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Hi,

this is likely an issue either with the PSU or motherboard... what PSU do you have? Powering on the first time likely charges up all the caps / warms things up, which then allow the machine to start up on the second attempt. The problem with this type of fault is it will probably get worse over time as components continue to degrade. Likely culprits are failing electrolytic capacitors either in the PSU or on the main board.

If the PSU is low quality and / or very old that is probably a good place to start....
It's a 600W PSU and it's never had issues before. I can't remember the brand or psu rating unfortunately. The last time this system was used regularly was around 1 year ago.

When I return home, I'll see if I can find a replacement PSU and see if that fixes the issue.

DSzymborski

Titan
It's a 600W PSU and it's never had issues before. I can't remember the brand or psu rating unfortunately. The last time this system was used regularly was around 1 year ago.

When I return home, I'll see if I can find a replacement PSU and see if that fixes the issue.

This is quite important information. And you don't actually know if you never had issues before; you only know if you've had obvious symptoms before. Much of the damage a junk PSU does is invisible until it's fatal.

DSzymborski

Titan

This is quite important information. And you don't actually know if you never had issues before; you only know if you've had obvious symptoms before. Much of the damage a junk PSU does is invisible until it's fatal.

voucherfort

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
It's not the PSU since I tried a 750W PSU from a working system and the problem still occurred. A visual inspection of the motherboard doesn't show any damage to it or swollen capacitors.

But I think I figured it out. It's the new SSD that I just installed that's causing the issues. I switched to my old HDD, without the SSD plugged in, and it booted normally.

I remembered that when the I installed Windows 10 on the ssd and the computer restarted, I got this error:
disk-read-error-1.png

I switched the boot order to ssd first and that solved the disk read error but that's when I got this booting problem.

DSzymborski

Titan
It's not the PSU since I tried a 750W PSU from a working system and the problem still occurred. A visual inspection of the motherboard doesn't show any damage to it or swollen capacitors.

But I think I figured it out. It's the new SSD that I just installed that's causing the issues. I switched to my old HDD, without the SSD plugged in, and it booted normally.

I remembered that when the I installed Windows 10 on the ssd and the computer restarted, I got this error:
disk-read-error-1.png

I switched the boot order to ssd first and that solved the disk read error but that's when I got this booting problem.

Best of luck to you. Without complete information, there's no advice for me to provide.