Question Computer has now turned off twice while gaming, maybe overheating

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
Hello,

My relatively new computer has restarted twice in the past two days while in use, specifically gaming. I might be assuming it overheating. I am using the stock cooler on the 3700x. It is quite chunky but clearly not doing the job. My dumb self also overclocked but like kind of randomly, i just multiplied something by 42 in my bios to get 4.2 ghz and did something in ryzen master, I will reset to default now that I think about it. Can anyone teach me how I can stop it from restarting randomly, how to overclock correctly and safely, and maybe tell me the pros and cons of undervolting. Im new to the tech world.

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
Please provide full pc spec including make and model of the psu. While gaming what are your cpu and gpu temperatures?
Not sure what the temps are. The GPU is def not overheating

I am using a gigabyte 2070 super, p1 500 gb ssd, 1tb seagate hdd, seasonic focus gx-650 gold, 3700x, define r6 with stock case fans and the stock wraith cooler. Motherboard is b450 tomahawk max

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
Not sure what the temps are.

I am using a gigabyte 2070 super, p1 500 gb ssd, 1tb seagate hdd, seasonic focus gx-650 gold, 3700x, define r6 with stock case fans and the stock wraith cooler. Motherboard is b450 tomahawk max
Once again, this started like two or three days ago and I have had this computer and gamed on it since like 2 or 3 weeks ago

You need to monitor the temperatures instead of guessing that it is the cpu overheating. While you have a high quality psu random shut offs are more likely a psu issue than temperature although not always. It’s very hard for a pc to shut off due to cpu temperature as the cpu will throttle long before the temperature gets high enough.

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
You need to monitor the temperatures instead of guessing that it is the cpu overheating. While you have a high quality psu random shut offs are more likely a psu issue than temperature although not always. It’s very hard for a pc to shut off due to cpu temperature as the cpu will throttle long before the temperature gets high enough.
Ok. Will do and I will get back to you

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
Temps stay under 60c for gpu and cpu

TRENDING THREADS