[SOLVED] Computer has persistent freezing issue ?

devinrobb3

Commendable
Dec 29, 2018
I built this computer pretty recently and it has a persistent issue with freezing. Basically It doesn't full freeze but none of the windows I have open work but I can still move my mouse the only fix I've found is to restart my computer. It happens a couple times a day.

I did some research and found out that the problem may be that windows is installed onto a m.2 but I've reinstalled windows onto another SSD and I am still having the same issue.

Specs:
MSI B550 Tomahawk
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI Ventus RTX 2060
16Gb DDR4 3600 mhz G.skill Ripjaws V
500Gb M.2 Samsung EVO
125 GB Kingston SSD
2TB Western Digital Hardrive
Windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Do a memtest.
You can run with 1 RAM stick at the time to see if a stick is defect as well.
Check that your RAM settings are correct in BIOS. Presets are fine 99/100 times, but the 100th..
Check that you've installed the RAM as dual channel.(this is unlikely to be the cause)
Get a diagnostics tool that shows your cpu temp.
Check if any program is hogging too many resources(bugged program)

Also, you want Windows on the m.2. in case you haven't reversed it to that yet. Will be annoying to change later.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Do a memtest.
You can run with 1 RAM stick at the time to see if a stick is defect as well.
Check that your RAM settings are correct in BIOS. Presets are fine 99/100 times, but the 100th..
Check that you've installed the RAM as dual channel.(this is unlikely to be the cause)
Get a diagnostics tool that shows your cpu temp.
Check if any program is hogging too many resources(bugged program)

Also, you want Windows on the m.2. in case you haven't reversed it to that yet. Will be annoying to change later.

Last edited:
Solution