Question Computer has problems resuming from sleep

waternut13134

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
I am at my witts end and really need some help. So I upgrade my computer every year with the new Ryzen launches and with the upgrade I get a new mobo and processor, starting with the 2000 series I started having problems when I put my computer to sleep and go to wake it, the computer will wake up and the screen will turn on but nothing will display and eventually the screen will turn off. The only way to get back into windows I have to hard push the power button and turn it back on. Last year with the 3000 series launch I decided to go a step further and get the 3900X, new X570 mobo and a new M.3 SSD to try and rule out any hardware related issues, I did a FRESH install of Windows and upgraded the Ryzen drivers and Bios updates and sure enough the computer still cant resume from sleep properly but the thing is it doesn't do it all the time, I can go in and the computer will wake up just fine and then an hour later it wont wake up.

Another thing I started noticing it does now as well is it will start waking up by itself and will NOT go back to sleep. I have disabled Wake on Lan in Bios and even killed any programs and it will still wake itself up, even if I put the computer into hibernation it will wake itself up. Cleared CMOS

I am pulling my hair out as I have pretty much replaced all the hardware, The only thing I have no replaced is the Ram. Can ram be causing this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I wanted to check if Ram could be the culprit before I spend more money and find out its not the issue.

Setup: Ryzen 3900X with latest AMD drivers
Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
EVGA RTX2080TI with Latest Drivers
Windows 10 with Latest software updates

Which power supply are you using? brand and model please

check all hard drives /SSDs with their manufacturer´s tool (like Samsung Magician), check for firmware updates as well.

Did you overclock the system?

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

waternut13134

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Crap, Sorry about that. PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD

System is overclocked with auto setting that Ryzen does (I forgot the name of it) But I have also disabled it all and let it run stock speeds and still has the issue. I just checked Samsung Magician and it shows Good with the firmware up to date. Ill run the memory test now and report back.

waternut13134

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Are the cables from EVGA and the original ones delivered with this unit?

Are all cables plugged in tightly into the motherboard and the PSU?

Can you check with a different PSU?

Check the connectors and buttons of the case, unplug these for testing

Mem test came back with no errors. They are the same cables that came with the power supply. I guess I should of mentioned that I did upgrade the power supply last year as well when I had SLI 1080tis and this issue was happening with the old power supply as well.

Ill double check the cables and connections, but I dont think that would be it as I redid all the wiring when I upgraded the Ryzen and mobo but ill double check.

Thats why my last thought was the ram since I have pretty much replaced everything else.

waternut13134

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Any 3rd party software tool installed after windows was installed?

Like tuning software, driver updater, anti virus,...

Nope I am very stringent on the software thats on the computer, I was running Windows defender but just switched to Kaspersky Cloud. However when I installed the M.2 with a fresh install of Windows the issue was still happening so I thought it was safe to rule out software?

Last edited:

waternut13134

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Was Kaspersky installed while the system wasn´t waking up?

How do you wake up the system? Usually with mouse or keyboard or the power button?

How did you install windows?

check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

EDIT: Are you using a display port cable?

For USB devices, I do have a USB powered hub that has an external power source.

Yes I use the mouse or keyboard and everything turns on (Well supposed to)

For the new copy of Windows I wrote the ISO image to a thumb drive, booted into the drive and wiped the M.2 SSD, repartitioned it and then wrote the ISO to it for a fresh copy.

For Kaspersky Yes, I literally just installed in this past week, before I was just using Windows Defender so the issue was happening with WD and Kaspersky.