[SOLVED] Computer has random restarts, worked fine for a very long time even after swapping to a new RAM kit and replacing fans.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 4, 2021
This is my computer parts, I changed my ram from gskill ripjaws 3200mhz 16gb 2x8 to 4x8 32gb 3600mhz dominator ram and have been running fine with no issues for months, but recently one of my sticks had its rgb die(half of lights up and then flashes, pretty much broken on one stick).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wZkXXb

I started getting this issues after not using my computer for 3+ months but I came back to using it about 5 weeks ago, ever since then i was running fine with absolutely 0 issues and gaming fine, temps were normal, now about 3 weeks ago I noticed lots of random restarts happening to my computer and could not get an explanation because I simply dont have the power to buy a psu or buy a new mobo anymore to see what is failing in my computer, I have tried googling for many days and can not find an issue, my temps are still fine, my cpu does get a bit hot but IS still in the "normal range" I mainly * up the thermal paste a little bit but works fine(will need to replace the paste some time soon when my paste DOES arrive). I tried every logical solution I found on google and have not been able to pin point the issue as I dont know how to debug this type of error with a computer.

Keep in mind, these restarts are happening frequently and at random times, some restarts happen as soon as I boot my computer, some happen after a few hours, others happen at just time you would not expect it.

Also happens randomly when either gaming or just watching netflix or just not even doing anything, the computer is literally idle with nothing open on the foreground (some background process like a vpn or defender, etc. but I've always had those programs open and no issues came up)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
This is my computer parts, I changed my ram from gskill ripjaws 3200mhz 16gb 2x8 to 4x8 32gb 3600mhz dominator ram and have been running fine with no issues for months, but recently one of my sticks had its rgb die(half of lights up and then flashes, pretty much broken on one stick).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wZkXXb

Your Corsair Dominators are OC RAM at 3600MHz CL18 in a (4x8) combo however the 5800x officially supports up to 3200Mhz. This places extra strain on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) and could well be the issue.
I could not find CMT32GX4M4C3600C18 listed on the MB QVL so they are not a tested kit although this may be due to the QVL not being updated.

Does the system remain stable if you switch back...
Dec 4, 2021
First of all clear your CMOS to bring Bios back to default. If Bios corruption has occurred then you will have to flash the Bios with the latest version. (F14e)
The LED for CPU lighting up and staying lit can indicate a faulty chip but not necessarily so. Lets first see if we can get your Bios back. No output to monitor would result with CPU_LED lit as POST would not advance till the error is rectified.
I got my pc working now, it has latest bios version, when I loaded my computer up I did not touch anything, I didn’t open any apps or nothing I just let my computer sit as soon as it opened and no restarts happened. As soon as I opened chrome or anything else after a few minutes my computer would not “crash” but it would sort of like just refresh, like you know how when a computer you click the restart, the computer does a quick shutdown(close all the rgb and everything) then does a reboot. My computer is just doing sort of a “refresh” it is just like I would say restarting the OS?? Like it doesn’t do a fully shutdown like when I normally click restart what it does it flashes my screen and the. The Aorus logo shows up and windows then my home desktop, as if I was to first turn on my computer in the morning to use it, is how I would describe it.

Dec 4, 2021
So what I thought would fix the issue didn’t do it, now my motherboard indicates a solid red light on DRAM, my camp profile was not on, I had it on default settings.