Question Computer Has Trouble Restarting - Motherboard needs to be shorted every time?

michael267

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Issue:
When my computer is shut down, when it is turned back on or restarts, the components power on but I get a black screen.

Details:
This doesn't happen every time, maybe 60% of the time that it reboots.
When it happens, the fans (CPU and GPU) go at full blast and the internal lights turn on, but the computer does not boot.

Fixes that work:
My routine is usually to unplug everything from the back, unplug the power, hold the power button on the front down, plug the power in, and try to boot (this usually requires 5+ tries).
Other times I can just wait for 20 mins and it will usually reboot fine.
Today (reason for my post) it was having a really hard time booting. I eventually unplugged it and plugged it back in really quickly while the PC was on but not booting. The PC immediately booted successfully.

Questions:
What is the actual problem? I've seen mentions of the motherboard battery online in similar threads but I'm not sure how it would cause my issue.
How can I fix this? What did I actually do by plugging it in and out very quickly that got it working? Did I "short" the mobo (I've seen this mentioned as a solution in similar threads)

Thanks for the help!

SPECS:

• Ryzen 1600 CPU
  • Gigabyte AX370 gaming
  • 32 gb ram ddr4
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • NVIDIA 1660 Super GPU
  • Corsair CX500M

Last edited:

michael267

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hang on. It's going to take us a bit to tell you the issue. We need to break out our Ouija boards to figure out what parts are I your pc. You could speed things up by telling us. Ouija boards aren't 100% so you might wantto do that anyway. ;)

Apologies - specs:
  • Ryzen 1600 CPU
  • Gigabyte AX370 gaming
  • 32 gb ram ddr4
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • NVIDIA 1660 Super GPU
  • Corsair CX500M

Last edited:

michael267

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Pretty timely but I just experienced a Critical Kernel-Power error (Event ID 41 in Event Viewer) - the PC just randomly shut itself off. This has happened in the past a couple of times a few months back and I thought nothing of it