Question Computer has trouble turning on ?

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Few months ago something happened to my pc and it stopped working. The PC wouldn't turn on. I tested the PSU (using paperclip), changed the BIOS CELL, tested the RAM but nothing fixed the problem, eventually i gave up.

But now a week ago i turned on the power and as usual there was no response from the PC, but then i waited like 20~30 mins and it unexpectedly turned on and worked perfectly fine. So now whenever i turn on the power, the PC starts a while later. However, today it's not responding once again despite waiting an hour...

What could be causing this issue, what can i do to fix this. I can provide more info pics/videos. Plz help me solve this..

The paperclip test cannot prove a psu is working correctly, it can only show the psu is or is not unresponsive. I’m not saying it is the psu, only you cannot rule it out based on the paperclip test. What is the full pc spec including make and model of the psu?

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
The paperclip test cannot prove a psu is working correctly, it can only show the psu is or is not unresponsive. I’m not saying it is the psu, only you cannot rule it out based on the paperclip test. What is the full pc spec including make and model of the psu?
Ok i understand you...but i feel like its not the PSU. Also my computer managed to turn on almost an hour after i turned on the main power ....
My pc is an old small form factor DC7900 (with Q9400), ive put a GT 1030, 8GB DDR2 RAM everything else is stock.

Ok i understand you...but i feel like its not the PSU. Also my computer managed to turn on almost an hour after i turned on the main power ....
My pc is an old small form factor DC7900 (with Q9400), ive put a GT 1030, 8GB DDR2 RAM everything else is stock.
Needing to leave a psu plugged in for a period before of time before you can boot a system can be a psu fault. At this point I’d guess psu or motherboard but without swapping out parts I see no way to narrow it down.

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Reseat every cable from psu to hardware. Confirm plug from wall is secure and snug at rear of psu
Ive done that already. I took the entire thing apart. and retached the wires. From the PSU to HDD. It did nothing.

Also my Lcd monitor has a strange green tint and overall blocky look. (Im unsure if its a related issue, but i just wanted to put it out there.

marxman95

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Needing to leave a psu plugged in for a period before of time before you can boot a system can be a psu fault. At this point I’d guess psu or motherboard but without swapping out parts I see no way to narrow it down.
hmm. Isnt there a way i could diagnose the fault by running some sort of software or a program when the pc does turn on.?

hmm. Isnt there a way i could diagnose the fault by running some sort of software or a program when the pc does turn on.?

There is software to test the pc under high load for stability issues, for example OCCT or MemTest. However your problem is different, it’s not under load or a stability problem but something preventing it switching on. I’m not aware of any software that could help diagnose this, maybe someone else will have a suggestion.