Question Computer having temporary freezes, Suspicious of PSU

smartypantsspencer

Commendable
Oct 27, 2018
I've had this rig for about a year now - over the last 4 days, I've had this problem where the computer would stutter and lock up for a second or so. In the following minute, audio would often noticeably crackle.

This happens far more frequently under high load than under low load, but the problem occurs either way. It's actually freezing up as I type this.

Discord audio may bug out and either my mic doesn't register, or no audio comes through, until I leave and rejoin any call I'm in.

I've been looking closely at CPU and GPU temperatures. During freezes, GPU temps are less than 45 C, CPU is less than 60 C.

In the resource monitor, when a freeze occurs, I look over, and when it unfreezes, it notes that, GPU usage, CPU usage, and Disk active time - either shoot to near 100% or drop to 0%. The GPU seems particularly extreme - either 100% or 0%, no alternatives.

All components, except the PSU (more like 2+ years old) and the SSD (2 1/2 weeks old) are exactly 1 year old to date.

EVGA GTX 1660 XC GAMING
Ryzen 3 1200
B450 Gaming Plus motherboard
2 x 4 GB DDR4 @ 2666
WD BLUE 500GB 2.5" SSD
Insignia 450W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Power Supply (Absolute crap)

I realize that I'll need more thorough system specs. I'm just typing this up quickly. Where should I get a better system specs list?

I used to BSOD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION when scanning with Malwarebytes, but driver updates fixed that issue. I haven't had any other freezing cause bsods, so I assume that it couldn't be the motherboard or the CPU, since issues with those would probably make the system unstable.

I'm suspicious of my power supply, since the system grinds to a complete halt. Any way to confirm my suspicions, besides by replacing parts? (I need a new PSU anyways, I want upgrades but my wattage is too low. I need to know what's failing before I make any upgrades, though).

smartypantsspencer

Commendable
Oct 27, 2018
Though it also happens when not under load, so the issue might be slightly different - but I'd say yeah, that's a reasonable deduction.

The freezes are getting so bad that I have to stop using my computer now. I'm just using mobile to type.

logainofhades

Titan
it could be your power supply, 450w is preety low in todays standards. My 600w psu made crackling sounds when under heavier load, maybe yours does too.

It has nothing to do with the wattage. It is the fact that Insignia PSU's are junk quality. A high quality PSU would be just fine, with their current hardware. I would recommend at least a quality 550w, just for some upgrade headroom.

smartypantsspencer

Commendable
Oct 27, 2018
It has nothing to do with the wattage. It is the fact that Insignia PSU's are junk quality.
True, and I knew it when I bought it 2 years ago. Back then I had a prebuilt work computer with a 300W, so I bumped up to a cheap 450W for some upgrades I was making - and those upgrades didn't end up compatible with my motherboard anyways.

It has served me perfectly fine up until this exact moment - where it is simultaneously failing (probably, but maybe not), right as I start to consider upgrading my components - I'm hoping to bump up to a Ryzen 5 3600 and 16 GB of faster RAM very soon. I think it's warranted to make some headroom, or I might end up staring down the barrel of a very foolish purchase.

I looked at the PSU guide, did some filtering on pcpartpicker, researched stuff, and I simply couldn't find anything not out of stock, timely, and not overly expensive for my needs but a Corsair CXM 650W. At least it's better than insignia.

I'm all ears to suggestions for other PSUs.

Last edited:

smartypantsspencer

Commendable
Oct 27, 2018
It's not the PSU - nor the CPU, nor the RAM, I just upgraded all three and the issues have not disappeared.

I've done a semi-thorough cleaning of the system with compressed air to flush out any dust.

It appears to happen more and more frequently after the system is on for long periods of time. I've checked GPU and CPU temps, they don't spike when it occurs. The only components in the PC that aren't nearly brand new are the Motherboard and the GPU - an MSI Gaming Plus B450 and an EVGA XC GAMING GTX 1660, both exactly a year old.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DzHYZf New part list.

System runs very, very well - but the system has resumed crashing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, only on startup in the morning when Malwarebytes performs a scan, and occasionally freezes for a fraction of a second, often in bursts. Additionally, video and audio often desync on Youtube, Netflix, and the like. The video falls behind while the audio continues normally.

I'm suspecting a driver incompatibility, or something related to my SSD. I somewhat doubt that the motherboard is at fault, because I'd presume the issues would be more severe if the motherboard were struggling with something or another.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited: